cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now tv box cant connect to my local network

The light just comes up red when trying to connect and then fails. Is it a problem that its a virgin media router? I have the password right and it does connect to the router just not to the local network help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Lots of people have experienced problems with Virgin Hubs
Others report that this will work :
Try pressing the HOME button on the remote 5 times followed by one press of FF,PLAY, REW, PLAY and finally FF.

You should now be in the hidden menu where you can scroll down to deselect 'enable network pings' box at bottom of screen.

Then move blue line down to Back and select - it should then connect and work ok with Virgin Superhub.

View solution in original post

257 REPLIES 257
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, was just about to give up when I read this 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks- This worked for me after spending 2 hrs doing various things to hub settings after reading many posts ...seems odd that NowTv advise the opposite...grrr

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Set the ping to enable rather than disable. I'm with virgin and it worked straight away after about an hour of checking and rechecking the password.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi
I am also unable to connect to the local network and have done the steps as explained above. I live in Guernsey. Please help.
Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chow,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to yourself.

Could you give these troubleshooting steps a try and let us know if they work for you or not? They look similar to the ones you've tried but are slightly different 🙂

Kind Regards,

Sal

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having a very similar problem to all those above, but can't get my NowTV box to connect with my ADSL router becauase it doesn't seem to be able to get through the security I've set up on the router.

When I disable the router's security completely, the NowTV box can go right through the setup, connect perfectly, get the latest updates, install apps, etc. However, as soon as I enable the router's security, it refuses to even establish a connection with the router.

And yes, I've tried ALL of the troubleshooting tips listed in this thread more times than I care to mention, without success. I'm now worried about wearing the symbols off each of the buttons on the remote because I've fiddled with settings and rebooting so much Smiley Wink

Obviously, I can't be expected to run my router with the security disabled endlessly, so I would welcome any help that can be offered, before my remote's buttons are worn out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Do a factory reset from secret menu:

Homex5, FFx3, rewindx2

Finally worked for means now fully updated too
Anonymous User
Not applicable
How do I connect to the local network? It's not letting me connect.
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks for posting.

Please take a look at @Anonymous User 's post above for steps that should fix this issue for you.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure if my experience is similar to others ... I have 4 wireless access points around the house (large bungalow) set to channels 1, 5, 9 and 13 (yes this yields a small channel overlap compared to 1, 6, 11 but due to the shape of the house I need 4 APs in a square so need 4 non-clashing channels).

I have 3 NowTV boxes. Suddenly one stopped connecting to the wireless network (after 4-5 months of being fine), and I couldn't figure out the reason, so I moved the bedroom unit that hadn't been used for ages, and it worked - for 3 days. Then stopped seeing the wireless network as well.

I tried all sorts of things - switching from WPA2 to no security, creating a guest SSID with no security, rebooting the access point, switching it from dynamic 20/40MHz to fixed 20MHz wide channels, defining the network as if it was not broadcasting, forcing b or g channel types, a full factory reset ... nothing! The NowTV just didn't detect the wireless network at all.

Eventually in frustration I changed the wireless channel of the access point from 13 to 11 - nothing. But changing it to 1 worked. Back to 11 - it becomes invisible to NowTV. Same thing with the second unit. One evening when I've got some spare time I'll do a check across all channels and see which it can see and which not, but for now. using a lower channel number is what fixed the wireless network being invisible to my NowTV boxes.

Now ... if the NowTV is standards-compliant, it should work just fine with channels 1-13, since it is a UK-specific unit and channels 1-13 are the standardised channels for the UK regulatory regime. I wonder if some kind of invisible update or patch has been pushed to the NowTV boxes ... though the units themselves say they haven't been updated since last October.

So if all else fails, force your wireless router or access point to channel 1 and see ... !