cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My TV keeps turning off.

Everytime I watch something on my Now TV box it turns my TV off every few minutes. This doesnt happen if I have my games console on or Im watching freeview, it only happens when im using my Now TV box. How can I fix this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Are you getting any messages appearing on the screen, such as No signal detected or any mention of auto off or power saving?

sounds like your TV might not be realising it is receiving a signal from the NOW TV box and is going to standby to save energy. You could try looking through the TV menu system to see if there is any way to disable auto standby or power saving / energy saving modes and see if that makes any difference.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Are you getting any messages appearing on the screen, such as No signal detected or any mention of auto off or power saving?

sounds like your TV might not be realising it is receiving a signal from the NOW TV box and is going to standby to save energy. You could try looking through the TV menu system to see if there is any way to disable auto standby or power saving / energy saving modes and see if that makes any difference.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wasn't getting any messages but I went through my TV menu and turned the power saving setting off and it seems to be working fine now. Thank you.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy It's happening again. I have checked all my settings and restarted and re-installed my cables but it's still turning my tv off. Any suggestions on what I could try next? Thank you.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't know if you've already tried this, but if not it might be worth trying a different HDMI cable

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry to hear it's still happening, that's a pain. Whilst some devices can send control commands to compatible TVs via HDMI eg to tell your TV to turn off when you turn the device off, the NOW TV box isn't one of those so I don't think it's the box causing the issue.

As well as @Anonymous User 's suggestion, it might also be worth trying the box in a different HDMI port on your TV. I'd be tempted to try connecting your NOW TV box to the port that your games console is currently connected to and see if that makes any difference. Or if one of the ports is labelled HDMI1 try that one.

It might also be worth trying the NOW TV box on a different TV in your house if you are able to, and check if everything works fine on a different TV.

If you are still having problems after that, post back with the make and model of your TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy I have tried a different hdmi cable in both hdmi ports in my TV (unfortunately I dont have another TV to try it on) and Im still having the same problem. My TV is Samsung, model: LE32R88BD [R] Model code: LE32R88BDX/XEU and Type no: BP32EO. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry to hear you've still got problems. Hope you are managing to keep calm!

I've had a quick look at the manual for your TV and I can't see any other settings that might cause the problem.

First try unplugging the TV at the mains and leaving it for 5 mins then plugging back in and seeing how you go.

If no luck, it might be worth making sure the Anynet+ feature on the TV is turned off (the feature allows the TV and compatible devices to send controls to each other - the NOW TV box isn't a compatible device but it's worth trying just in case it's playing up). To do this, press the Anytime+ button on the remote, select the Setup option, and in the Anytime+ (HDMI-CEC) option make sure this is set to Off.

If it's still no go, then I did find a reference to someone with the similar problem (http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/107785 ) using an Xbox, and they believe it's down to the TV struggling with some picture formats. So you could try the following:

1. On the TV, press the Menu button on the remote, choose the Picture option, then Size option and choose Scan Only.

2. On the NOW TV box with it powered up and on your TV screen (when it works!) push a pin into the tiny reset hole on the back of the box and keep it pushed in until you see it restart. Once the box has restarted, you will be prompted to set it up again with your wifi details and your NOW TV account details.

3. Once the box is all set up again, go to Settings, then Display, then Display type and check it is set to 720p (which it should be, although if you have the black NOW TV box it might be set to something else). Try watching something now and see how it goes.

If all that doesn't help, then take a deep breath, make yourself a strong cup of tea with your favourite biscuit and I would then try contacting Samsung support to see if they have come across the same problem before and what they suggest.

Contact options can be found here (you can either telephone or email them)
http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html

Hope it helps, post back and let us know how you go. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy I've tried that and it's still turning off though I did get to watch 45 minutes of a film this time before it happened again. I will try contacting samsung. Thanks again.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine keeps flicking off just for a second