cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Connecting now tv to student wifi

I've been trying to connect my now tv box to my student wifi, but because there's a username and password required to be properly connected it's not working for my now tv box. Is there any solution to this???
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't think so not sure on other devices but none of the boxes have the ability to login to wifi like you want it to.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User do you know if the solution in this still works? http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Ideas-for-NOW-TV/WiFi-login-screen-on-NOW-TV-Box/idi-p/152440
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @4268 a HooToo® TripMate Nano Wireless Router off Amazon should do the trick, assuming the halls network doesn't block streaming services or limit download speed.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I know @Anonymous User mentioned using the nowtv white box, so this post is mainly for my own curiosity.

@Anonymous User I was Just wondering in this scenario (if the University doesn't block streaming type services or cap the download speed / capacity) would using something like the Roku streaming stick with the Hotel / Dorm feature (subject to the TV having a HDMI port) and using a smart phone, Tablet or Laptop has a WiFi bridge would this be a viable alternative to the nowtv box and the Trip Mate Router option ?

I already own a Roku streaming stick, smart phone & tablet (i am guessing i wouldn't need to buy the Trip Mate Router) and would be interested to know if this would work or not ?

Also if the Roku above option would work, does the Trip Mate Router provide a more faster & stable wifi connection between the nowtv box and University / Hotel Network, rather then using a wifi bridge on a tablet and a Roku stick / box ?

Are there advantages and other examples where this Trip Mate Router could be used either at home or away from home.   

Since reading your post on here i am curious about this type of Router device you recommended and it had me thinking if i can use this product for other different applications in the future.

Could this device be used for example has a wifi extender in poor access areas around the home or office etc ?

Your superior knowledge in this field as always would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about all questions.

Thanks

schnapps. Smiley Happy

Edit - @Anonymous User Don't worry about answering my question about the typical useage of this Router i will have a read of the 313 reviews on Amazon about the applications of this device. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps a Roku stick/box would be fine with the hotel feature to connect to the wifi. The advantage of a Trip Mate is that is can get around other stuff too, especially if you are at a hotel which has a one mac address rule.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thanks @Anonymous User, your reply is much appreciated.

Looks like that the Trip Mate is quite a handy device to have especially if you travel or are away from home a lot and use the internet regularly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I know this is an old thread but thought I would give you this info for anyone with the same issue.

If you have a laptop or computer that you use to connect to the student WiFi you can share your WiFi connection from your laptop by connecting a lan cable from the laptop to the nowtv box but you need to select it in the internet settings to allow the share.

If you want to know the exact way to share the internet just ask me and I will give you a step by step
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Could you please explain how to do this? I've just bought a box and it is driving me mad.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

For anybody interested, the good news is NOW TV boxes can now be used to connect to public wifi networks that require authentication via webpage, which should help users wanting to connect to eg some hotel or student networks.

Currently this is available on the standard black NOW TV box, more details here
https://help.nowtv.com/article/use-now-tv-device-in-hotel-or-student-accommodation