cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I record content?

Hi All, can i ask if it is posible to record anything on the NowTV box and if so how is it done and where does Now TV store the recording.

Also, is there a detailed user manual anywhere. I apreciate there is plenty of help from the site but this takes so much time to navigate through it is to slow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User there is no recording feature on the box, or with NowTV. However you'll find most of the live shows are already avaible on demand or are added shortly after being shown.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Again, why not. People have busy lives. Recording has to be done on 10 hour sport matches. Its insane theres no record feature😞

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I think what NowTV offers is quite generous, but you have to remember that Sky wants NowTV to complement Sky, not cannibalise it, by bringing in extra revenue from people who would never sign up for Sky, and not by losing revenue from people who realise that NowTV, plus Freeview, gives them everything they were getting from Sky. Which, if you could record on NowTV, would suddenly become a very much larger slice of Sky users.

So Sky keeps the recording ability to itself, augmented by not allowing On Demand on NowTV Sports.

Beyond that, what NowTV users are allowed to do is finely judged by Sky; I get the feeling they will have agonised about keeping Sky Atlantic reserved to Sky, or being on NowTV like it is, and I am very glad that the spreadsheet of pros and cons must have gone our way.

But if you think it’s crazy that you can’t record, then you are one of the people that Sky does not want to lose to NowTV; and the remedy is in your hands. So actually, Sky would be crazy to let you record on NowTV....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User At one time Virgin were looking at cloud based storage for recordings. That might be technically feasible for Now TV devices,  if they wanted to go down that route, and you've got the bandwidth.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes you can, but you need extra hardware (an HDMI splitter and digitiser)  and doing so almost certainly violates your agreement with Sky.

RoyB
Legend

You can now record NowTV on YouView boxes if you subscribe to NowTV via BT TV, having taken BT as your ISP, and record from the NowTV channels that BT TV provide.

But outside of that, good luck finding any legal device that will record from HDMI, never mind what Sky might think; but such a device would not be a digitiser, as the HDMI signal is already digital.

However, you could make a recording, even an HD one, via the ‘analogue hole’; use an HDMI to component video converter, which you can readily buy, and an old analogue HDD/DVD recorder, which you might find on eBay, which lets you record from the AV inputs.

Might even support timed recordings, you never know.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Last I looked a Black Magic design H.264 pro recorder was legal, while a cheap and cheerful HDMI splitter will filter out the copy protection, possibly by accident, because it's cheap! Injecting an LTC time code to the signal can be tricky. All in all it is a bit of a performance to set it all up, and hardly worth the effort except in exceptional circumstances!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

You can not record any programs or download 0