cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Box update caused hdcp unauthorised

My white box was working until at 6.30 pm it updated itself and now i get a purple screen with hdcp unauthorised! On googling i find my tv is not compatible any more as its 6 years old!!!
3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. If it worked fine before your TV is OK.

Have a look at the following help page which explains what is happening

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Purple-screen-with-sound-NOW-TV-box

It's a case of messing around with the HDMI cable and TV until it works .... Start off by unplugging both TV and box at the mains, unplugging both ends of the HDMI cable and reconnect, then plug box and TV back in and see if it works.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Tried all that!

I am thinking that the recent box update told the TV over HDMI that the
input signal was protected and the TV failed to acknowledge as its 6
years old.
My TV will output any signal recieved and allow it to be recorded. New
TV's on receipt of the protection signal will inhibit the outputs
preventing copying.

I see that the latest black box is reduced to £12.50 which is probably
to attract the owners of old TVs which the white box wont work with. But
neither will the new black box!!!
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

It won't be because your TV is not HDCP compliant, I'd be amazed if any six year old TV wasn't. HDCP encrypts the signal to prevent interception between the box and the TV (ie across the length of the cable) rather than what happens after it reaches the TV. The white box has always used HDCP over HDMI so if you had the box working over HDMI before it should still work.

I'd suggest keep trying different combinations of tips shown on that help article, and if your TV has more than one HDMI input try changing inputs and/or cables. You could also try doing a factory reset of the box from the Settings menu but this requires you to enter your wifi and NOW TV account details again.

If all else fails, post back. I suppose there's a slight possibility an update may be causing issues with HDCP working properly, so if you're still stuck I'll mention to the NOW TV Team for you and see if there have been any reports.