cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC IPLAYER PROBLEM

The BBC iplayer app is incredibly slow to respond to any presses on the remote, often freezing and requiring to go back to home and re open, but this can take ages.

i had uninstalled and reinstalled app, ensured software is up to date, and reset the nowtv box, but nothing improves it.

Other apps such as 4 and ITV work fine.

i have the white box.

any suggestions?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

This issue has been reported a few times by 'white' NOW TV box owners. See here: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/BBC-IPLAYER-PROBLEM/td-p/322946

It's most likely a 'lack of memory' and processing power issue. BBC iPlayer has got more complex in recent times. Some people have had some success deleting apps and/or reseting their white boxes to free up memory. However, if the problem persits you're better off treating yourself to the newer 'black' NOW TV box.

And just-so-you-know... NOW TV have no control over 'third-party' apps, such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, RedBull TV etc. The content delivery systems and the UI's for each distribution platform is entirely controlled by the service provider.

Cheers

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

This issue has been reported a few times by 'white' NOW TV box owners. See here: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Entertainment/BBC-IPLAYER-PROBLEM/td-p/322946

It's most likely a 'lack of memory' and processing power issue. BBC iPlayer has got more complex in recent times. Some people have had some success deleting apps and/or reseting their white boxes to free up memory. However, if the problem persits you're better off treating yourself to the newer 'black' NOW TV box.

And just-so-you-know... NOW TV have no control over 'third-party' apps, such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, RedBull TV etc. The content delivery systems and the UI's for each distribution platform is entirely controlled by the service provider.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

For the last few months I have been experiencing issues watching BBC iplayer using my white now tv box (2400SK) and wondered if anyone else was having the same problem.  When I go into iplayer and select a program, it plays OK for several minutes but then the speech and playback slows down markedly and the iplayer application eventually seems to crash because it takes me out of iplayer and after a couple of minutes back to the now tv home screen. I then have to go back into iplayer, refind the program and resume watching (it always resumes at a point several minutes earlier than when it crashed !). It then plays the program through to the end without further problems. It has become really annoying and only seem to have started in the last few months. I've tried removing the iplayer app and re-installing it, but the problem persisted and I am sure that there is not a problem with my broadband speeds. I suspect that the problem started when the iplayer application was last updated on 21/Apr/17 (version 2.4). Could you please reply if you are having the same problem and let me know if you have a white box or one of the later black boxes because I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to a black box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you jump into the entertainment section of this forum there is a 30 page thread about the BBC IPlayer app issues reported by various members.

Unfortunately my tablet is playing up at the moment and for some reason i can't link the page here.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SeeMoreDigital and @schnapps

Thanks for your replies. I can't find a mention of my symptoms in that thread although there are some that could be classed as similar. I will go ahead and replace  my white box with a black box  in the next couple of days and feed back if that resolved the problem.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you have a Currys or PC World close to you, then they are currently doing the cheapest deals at the moment for the black nowtv box either bundled with a 3 month entertainment or 2 month cinema voucher pass for £15.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi again @Anonymous User,

If you're interested Currys/PC World are currently offering the following 'black' box 'bundle' deals: -

NOW TV 'black' box with 2 month 'Movies' pass @ £14.99

NOW TV 'black' box with 3 month 'Entertainment' pass @ £14.99

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

'Maybe a lack of memory'? If you cannot give an answer to a question that will help someone then don't. I already met someone from NowTv who is employed to help on the 'chat' but he was rude, unhelpful and decided that repeating things over and over. So looking for answers on any form of media is an utter waste of time!!!!!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @SeeMoreDigital @schnapps @4268

Hi MSS (I must say, you have a cool user name)

I've read your previous post about having to deal with a rude Now TV help desk person, while I will not condone or excuse such bad behaviour, I will say that not all help desk personnel are D-Bags.

I, myself, have dealt with several help desk people, over the 3 - 4 years I've been a customer of Now TV, and only found one of them to be suspect.

Anyway, I hope you've kept the Now TV help chat "text" that's always produced, it has the name of the person you dealt with, so that when you are contacted by a member of the Now TV Team you can give them the name of this JOKER who is pretending to work at being help desk staff.

Finally, I know @4268 has asked @Karl-F to look into this, I hope he can offer you a satisfactory conclusion.

UK Bob