cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

"Watch something new" pop up

I was watching the lastest episode of The Americans.  It was an enthralling slow-build episode with a subtle conclusion.  So I was extremely annoyed that, during the final scene, a message popped up inviting me to "Watch something new".

I hate pop-up ads and banners at the best of times.  But the ending of a show is the most important part, and to have it interrupted is very distracting.  Especially on a service I'm paying for!

To cap it all, if I click on the 'yes' option, I'm taken away from the show I'm currently watching.  What's the point of that?

If you absolutely must have these pop ups (and I'm not convinced you do) then why not have them 20 seconds from the end when, almost always, the credits will be rolling?  Or, better yet, after I've finished watching my show?

I love the content on Now TV, but this has made me genuinely angry.  I know I shouldn't be bothered by something so trivial, but I really don't want this on a service I have to pay for. 

Please remove these pop ups as soon as possible.  Thank you.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

107 REPLIES 107
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Inside the Actors Studio - Amy Adams (30 secs early).

This is actually S19E08, the Matthew McConaughey episode is S19E09 (not S20 as I previously mentioned) according to Imdb

These episodes are listed seperately (with the guest name as part of the title), can these be combined into a single title?

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

The pop-up appears too early on ep13 of Bob's Burgers.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

The pop-up appears too early on ep3 of The Last Panthers - obscuring some of the subtitles!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Talking Dead S06E08 (31 secs early)

Modern Family S07E07 (39 secs early)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Inside the Actors Studio - Bruce & Laura Dern (20 secs early)

The Middle S07E08 (18 secs early)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Modern Family S07E08

@Anonymous User  I think the tech staff are still adding these popups at the incorrect time on a few programmes (usually those where end credits roll during the last part). This needs looking into.

Also, the "Tell us what you think" popup on these forums keeps appearing even after pressing the No Thanks button (my cookies aren't disabled).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll get it looked into.

As for the popup on the forum, how often is it popping up? It's set to appear once every thirty days. And the cookies in your browser are definitely enabled?

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User is it appearing at 20:50 for you in that episode? Unfortunately we can't set it any later - it's designed to happen 30 seconds from the end of the episode across all devices, so there's just no way we can make it any later.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Yes, it appears at 20:50. If this cannot be changed (and I don't understand why not), can the popups be removed completely for those very few programmes that still play in the last 30 secs (some of the episodes in box sets don't have popups)?

Clearly, NowTV need to re-think about the way the whole service is run (including these popup issues) - they can't keep annoying viewers and push them towards illegal sources (losing money at the same time).

I use CCleaner every day, so the popup appearing each day is normal (and is not a problem). However, after pressing No Thanks, the popup can reappear a 2nd or 3rd time in the same browsing session. Cookies are definitely enabled (some sites, especially those using databases, may not work properly). Maybe a pinned thread or notice near the top of the page would be a better option?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User unfortunately there's not a way for us to disable it for specific shows, but we'll consider that amongst other potential improvements in the future. We've already reduced the overlay so that you can still see the show, as this was something that was fed back.

Back onto the survey, I've not heard of that experience previously. Can you see what happens if you click yes and then close the window? Also, which browser are you using, and do you have any extensions or specific applications running with it? I'm keen to get it fixed, as I need to keep it in place - it's essential to me demonstrating that the forum is useful to customers. I did previously have a survey more like what you're suggesting, but it doesn't give a fair sample of customers using the site.

Thanks,

Tom