cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

"Watch something new" pop up

I was watching the lastest episode of The Americans.  It was an enthralling slow-build episode with a subtle conclusion.  So I was extremely annoyed that, during the final scene, a message popped up inviting me to "Watch something new".

I hate pop-up ads and banners at the best of times.  But the ending of a show is the most important part, and to have it interrupted is very distracting.  Especially on a service I'm paying for!

To cap it all, if I click on the 'yes' option, I'm taken away from the show I'm currently watching.  What's the point of that?

If you absolutely must have these pop ups (and I'm not convinced you do) then why not have them 20 seconds from the end when, almost always, the credits will be rolling?  Or, better yet, after I've finished watching my show?

I love the content on Now TV, but this has made me genuinely angry.  I know I shouldn't be bothered by something so trivial, but I really don't want this on a service I have to pay for. 

Please remove these pop ups as soon as possible.  Thank you.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

107 REPLIES 107
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to say that the idea of the pop up is a good one, but like the origonal poster I agree it can be disruptive if it comes on too early. Perhaps each program needs to have the pop up time customised, as I think happens with Netflix.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is the closest to my issue. 30sec INTO the program I am currently watching (video killed the radio star s3e1) I am stuck with a "watch next episode" pop up in the middle of the screen!

Can't dimiss it only flip to new episode.

This needs to be fixed asap! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

2020 and this is still a problem.

I am trying to watch Monster Fish,but 3/4 of a way through,the banner appears and covers the subtitles.

The episodes are 44 minutes,but just over 30 minutes in and the something else/next episode appears,when all I want to do is watch this episode!

Just add an X to turn it off or add something in the player settings,so I can choose wether it appears.

Can this please be sorted out, it's been long enough?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And here is proof of when it first appears.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

These pop-ups are becoming really annoying, and they ARE disrupting the programmes. It's not difficult to press Back-up and select the next episode (I've done this so many times).

@Anonymous User Please get this removed. I'm not paying for content I cannot watch properly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User sorry that they're causing a nuisance. Could you give me some examples of shows where it's happening so I can get them fed back? They're not at a fixed point on all shows, so we do need to know which ones are wrong for you.

Thanks,

Tom

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

The greying-out of the bottom half of the screen seems like overkill to me.  It's significantly heavier than the similar greying-out that appears when you bring up the progress bar.

I don't see why anything needs to greyed-out at all for the 'Next Episode' pop-ups.  They'd be perfectly visible without it.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

The greying-out of the bottom half of the screen seems like overkill to me.  It's significantly heavier than the similar greying-out that appears when you bring up the progress bar.

I don't see why anything needs to greyed-out at all for the 'Next Episode' pop-ups.  They'd be perfectly visible without it.

+1 for me on this issue. Bit annoying on those programmes like The Force where they have a black screen with white text at the end explaining what happened next to the cases shown in the programme, the grey I out swamped the text on screen making it difficult to read. I wasn't quick enough to grab the remote and click the No Thanks option!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  Most recent examples are Talking Dead S06E03 (popup appears about 55 seconds from end), Tales of the Unexpected S09E07 and The Middle (which @DarylM referred to in another thread). Other examples I can't remember (due to memory problems from medical condition)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Although it may have seemed a good idea at the time, at the moment the annoyance of the pop up outweighs any convenience. After all it is normally quite easy to find the next episode of an item you have been watching just by hitting the back button on the remote control.

After a nearly a week of the pop up I find myself wanting to select an option to switch it off.

I'll second the view that the blanking of the screen is unnecessary.

The request to give specific examples of when it is a nuisance is really looking at it the wrong way round. The shorter list would be examples when it works well. 

I also use amazon (app on my TV) and netflix (via PC) and their implementain of "next episode" prompts are helpful, rather than disturbing.