cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

"Watch something new" pop up

I was watching the lastest episode of The Americans.  It was an enthralling slow-build episode with a subtle conclusion.  So I was extremely annoyed that, during the final scene, a message popped up inviting me to "Watch something new".

I hate pop-up ads and banners at the best of times.  But the ending of a show is the most important part, and to have it interrupted is very distracting.  Especially on a service I'm paying for!

To cap it all, if I click on the 'yes' option, I'm taken away from the show I'm currently watching.  What's the point of that?

If you absolutely must have these pop ups (and I'm not convinced you do) then why not have them 20 seconds from the end when, almost always, the credits will be rolling?  Or, better yet, after I've finished watching my show?

I love the content on Now TV, but this has made me genuinely angry.  I know I shouldn't be bothered by something so trivial, but I really don't want this on a service I have to pay for. 

Please remove these pop ups as soon as possible.  Thank you.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

107 REPLIES 107
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Can you see what happens if you click yes and then close the window? Also, which browser are you using, and do you have any extensions or specific applications running with it?

It doesn't matter if I press Yes, No or X. I use Firefox at home (no extensions), the problem has also appeared on Google Chrome 44.0 on another PC I use. It's not a major problem, just annoying as it shouldn't occur if a cookie is stored (perhaps the cookies are the problem?)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User thanks for letting me know. I'm getting it looked into.

Cheers,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User could you let me know the operating systems and browser versions of every PC you've seen the issue on? Our provider is just looking into it...

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

My home PC is running Windows 7 with Firefox 42.0

I also use a network PC running Windows XP with Google Chrome 44.0

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User thanks. I've passed that back - it's possible it could be down to older versions of Chrome not being supported, but I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Tom

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User Yes, it appears at 20:50. If this cannot be changed (and I don't understand why not), can the popups be removed completely for those very few programmes that still play in the last 30 secs (some of the episodes in box sets don't have popups)?

Yes, I've noticed that some episodes don't have pop-ups (although right now I can't give specific examples).

There have definitely been a few episodes where the pop-up happened right at the end.  An episode or two of The Middle had this, but they might have expired now.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear NOW TV, re the new notification box "Start Watching Something New - Maybe Later/More Like this" which now appears at the end of a show.......all too often it appears before the final credits and is ruining the final scene of the programme. Every episode of the 100 code. It's *really* annoying and ruins a moment of suspense! Can you not do something to synch it/ensure it only appears as the credits start to roll? But if as you seem to be saying elsewhere in this thread you can't, then please get rid. It's not an improvement, it's entirely unnecessary and ruining viewing of the programme you do want to watch.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If I went paid to go to the cinema and every time in the final scene the staff obscured my view I would simply stop using the cinema and go to a competitor.

Netflix have a similar feature, but it works. It is at the end of the show when the credits roll.

Every episode of every show I have watched recently (Arrow, Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Limitless) is effected by the novice attempt at copying Netflix's feature.

My 5 year old daughter finds it infuriating that Paw Patrol is being ruined, to the point that she was in tears. Fortunately we can watch Paw Patrol on Netflix.

I am paying for entertainment service from NowTV, being infuratated by large banner in the final scene is not entertaining.

Given the long wait for some of the above shows to be broadcast in the UK on NowTV, when they have aired months ago in the US and story details are revealed on social media in the interim, the least I can expect is to enjoy watching the show without an obtrusive banner.

If this feature is not removed or made optional the only option I have is to vote with my wallet and stop the service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surely the simple answer is to only add a pop up durning the credits of any stream. Problem  Sorted.

I must agree with the other poster more user setup options should be made available on this box allowing the customer to vary their viewing experiance. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User that's what it's supposed to do, only appear during the credits. The trick is working out when they are.