Not applicable

new nowtv box / full hd

hi, will the new nowtv box support full hd streaming for sky packages? vlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Although the new NOW TV (black) Box supports an 1080p output (and can be configured to up-scale to 1080p), the content is still limited to 720p. And the audio is still limited to 2 channel stereo. Which is the same as the current NOW TV (white) Box.

Cheers

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just wanted to say that we have both an apple TV 3 and a now tv  box.  To be honest you can barely see any difference, maybe even no difference on live streaming, between the two.  Watching on 48" full HD  TV.

Although it doesnt do it much I do find that the apple tv has a tendency to buffer more than the now TV box, for live sports.  I imagined this maybe due to fact that the Apple TV HD stream is more bandwidth intensive.

I only bought the apple TV  for the HD now tv live streaming but wish I'd not bothered and saved £40.

Obviously  depends on your Internet. We have fibre at approx 20Mbps at the location of the now  TV and apple TV boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

One reason for a new box may simply be that the old one is going out of production.  As newer chips become available the older ones tend to become more difficult and more expensive to procure.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

I think one of the reasons for the new box is that the old one is finding it harder & harder to cope with newer, more power hungry 3rd party apps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Not likely to be a significant reason.

Follow the money!  NowTV makes its profit from its own apps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

I agree, but I think having 3rd party on the box is a significant selling point.   There aren't many (or any?) boxes that have all 4 main catch up services (particularly ITV Player which is not on a lot of Smart TVs) and I think that alone can often tempt people into buying a box even of they don't initially want NOW TV, especially considering the price.  Therefore, it's important, in my opinion, that the box is responsive and capable of running the latest version of these apps smoothly, which the white box is increasingly struggling with as the apps are updated. 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Picture quality isn't all about resolution.  Personally I think it's more important in terms of picture quality that the bitrate is appropriate for the resolution and the the encoding is sound. 

Hi @Anonymous User 

It makes me laugh that I've seen a lot of Flash-based video players try to squeeze 720p out of 2500Kbps. That doesn't tend to work very well. The live streams on the BBC website which are meant to be 720P HD in full-screen would be a classic case in point.

You need at least 3200Kbps , which is roughly what iPlayer uses for 720p. I think now TV is the same if not slightly better.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im confused?? So if the new box has same video quality as the old box then whats the point of releaseing a new now tv box in the first place ?? What new features warrant a new box ??

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Im confused?? So if the new box has same video quality as the old box then whats the point of releaseing a new now tv box in the first place ?? What new features warrant a new box ??

The new box is more 'future-proof' Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wasn't the new box supposed to be out in time for the new football season? They're leaving it late!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hurry up new box !!