Not applicable

new nowtv box / full hd

hi, will the new nowtv box support full hd streaming for sky packages? vlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Although the new NOW TV (black) Box supports an 1080p output (and can be configured to up-scale to 1080p), the content is still limited to 720p. And the audio is still limited to 2 channel stereo. Which is the same as the current NOW TV (white) Box.

Cheers

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Although the new NOW TV (black) Box supports an 1080p output (and can be configured to up-scale to 1080p), the content is still limited to 720p. And the audio is still limited to 2 channel stereo. Which is the same as the current NOW TV (white) Box.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hm. ok 😞 any chance that the sky signal will be in HD someday?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky get £10 for HD last time I checked so don't think they will give it out for free! Better stick with Amazon and Netflix where all the films are in HD...

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User, I have Amazon as well as this. I find that they compliment each other in terms of a full entertainment package and I don't have time to take advantage as fully as I might otherwise.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does that make it comparable to streaming on Apple TV? And presumably once (if ever) the content is streamed in HD, the new box will be capable on handling it?

I know there's a secret forum for the new box that's bring trialled, but is anyone aware of how much better the box is?

Can plex still be installed for instance?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Can plex still be installed for instance?

I suspect that may be blocked.

Personally, I would like plex, netfix and amazon prime, but I won't hold my breath.  I know Roku supports them, but guess they won't be available.

RIght now I have a Amazon Fire stick for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Plex (but not Now TV which isn't supported)  whilst the Now TV box has Now and Plex.  The Tivo also covers Netflix.

Maybe one day there will be one box to rule them all....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Plex can be sideloaded on the original box via the developer mode. I don't see this changing. 

But I doubt it'll appear in the Channel Store and I think we'll never see Amazon Prime or Netflix. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User Plex can be sideloaded on the original box via the developer mode. I don't see this changing. 

I know, but I'd rather it be supplied as a bona fide channel/app.  I just fear that one day it will all stop working.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I know, but I'd rather it be supplied as a bona fide channel/app.  I just fear that one day it will all stop working.

Lets not forget that this is first and foremost a heavily subsidised 'NOW TV Box' product. And as such, all the supplied apps will have been tested and approved for use by NOW TV.

It's most probable that 'side-loading' non-approved apps will invalidate the NOW TV Box's warranty Smiley Surprised