Not applicable

new nowtv box / full hd

hi, will the new nowtv box support full hd streaming for sky packages? vlo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Although the new NOW TV (black) Box supports an 1080p output (and can be configured to up-scale to 1080p), the content is still limited to 720p. And the audio is still limited to 2 channel stereo. Which is the same as the current NOW TV (white) Box.

Cheers

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Wasn't the new box supposed to be out in time for the new football season? They're leaving it late!

@Anonymous User the monthly sports pass was before the football began, the box is just "August" http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Blog/We-re-celebrating-summer-with-something-new/ba-p/306572

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know that the new box is capable of 1080p but NowTV is at 720p for VOD and SD for live streams.

How about other apps on the box such as BBC iPlayer and All4? Can they play at 1080p?

Thanks in advance for any information.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I know that the new box is capable of 1080p but NowTV is at 720p for VOD and SD for live streams.

How about other apps on the box such as BBC iPlayer and All4? Can they play at 1080p?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi @Anonymous User

Below is the Max video output of the main apps available on the now TV box. But bear in mind that the box will upscale video where it can. So if the TV you're using has a native resolution of 1080p, then you should set the now TV box to 1080p. Remember 720p is classed as HD. 1080p is classed as FHD.

• BBC iPlayer max output of 720p
  • All4 max output of 480P (SD)
  • ITV player a max output of 480P (SD)
  • Demand 5 max output of 480p (SD)
  • flixster Max output of 720p (only on certain films,Usually Warner Brothers titles)
  • IGN Max output of 1080p (Not entirely sure about this one, So don't quote me)
  • YouTube Max output of 720p at 30 FPS (This is standard for all big-screen versions of YouTube)

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @commanda6

that's really useful information

@commanda6 said

Below is the Max video output of the main apps available on the now TV box. But bear in mind that the box will upscale video where it can. So if the TV you're using has a native resolution of 1080p, then you should set the now TV box to 1080p. Remember 720p is classed as HD. 1080p is classed as FHD.

• flixster Max output of 720p (only on certain films,Usually Warner Brothers titles)
  • YouTube Max output of 720p at 30 FPS (This is standard for all big-screen versions of YouTube)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks @commanda6

that's really useful information

@commanda6 said

• YouTube Max output of 720p at 30 FPS (This is standard for all big-screen versions of YouTube on low power boxes, 1080p now enabled if the device has enough power... )

Update info... 1080p WebM play back has been added to Youtube HDTV apps...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

1. When can we expect to be able to watch Channel 4 and channel 5 Live? On our Black box.
  2. Geoffrey Smith/Scarborough
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User you'd need to ask Channel 4 and Channel 5 those questions as it's their apps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had issues getting my new Now TV box to register the other day. I had an online chat with their support people, whilst sorting that, I asked about HD streams. They said that HD streaming was definitely on the way soon! I'm hoping that means on the Sky packages? It would make sense, with the new hardware being able to support the full HD stream 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A couple of points to note;

1) big screen YouTube apps have not been limited to 720p for years. I’ve had an Apple TV 3 since 2012 showing 1080p YouTube content, and even the 2006 Apple TV 1 had a 3rd party graphics card aftermarket upgrade to support 1080p.

2) it’s been more than 2 years since this thread was posted - I won’t apologise for the necropost, as it makes a point : is 1080p available yet?

My Apple TV 4k is now running on a 65” 4k television and I am not paying Sky to watch 720p content! Ok - limit nowTV to 1080p and save 4k for your premium box but seriously - they’re losing my money over this 720p issue.

1080p still looks great at that size - and I want to subscribe but not for 720p, it’s just not good value.

Netflix is around 20% 4k now - certainly for recent stuff. How far behind will sky fall?

Please someone give me some good news....,I would subscribe tomorrow if it was 1080p.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately it's still 720p max for all passes on NOW TV. It has been announced that 1080p will be coming sometime later this year, but the details haven't been released yet and at the moment it sounds like it will be a paid option.