cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

lost remote and not connected to wifi

So i have recently gotten a new wifi box from another provider, and i have just realised that i can’t connect it to my now tv box as i’ve lost the remote and used the Roku remote app prior to this. is there any way i can connect the new wifi to my now box?

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Could you not rename the Wi-Fi name to the same as the old one? That way it saves you having to fiddle about with the NOW box.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

i’ll give it a try but i’m not sure if it’s possible as it was from another provider.

thank you for the suggestion!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

As long as you can change the Wi-Fi name it should work. The box is looking for the Wi-Fi name of what your older router was set up with. 

Change it to that then you’ll be good to go.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What’s ‘it’? The ‘new WiFi box from another provider’, which I will call ‘the router’ to distinguish it from the Now box?

The problem you have is that you need to get the Now box’s attention, but it’s still looking for the previous router, so it won’t ‘see’ the Roku app, which is now connected to the new router.

@gavs82008 ’s method involves making the new router have the same SSID and password as the old router, and using those details on the Roku app as well, to get in touch with the Now box, which will now see the Roku app once again, and then using the Roku app to set the new SSID and password on the Now box, which will then vanish off the network, but will reappear when you put the new router back to its default SSID and password, and change the Roku app back to the new settings as well.

Or, rather simpler, just change the new router to have the same SSID and password as the old one, and then you won’t have to change a single device on your network.

Thats why my BT router is called ‘Netgear05’ and the password looks like near-English, instead of the incomprehensible string BT were using. Sure, I’ll have to re-establish these settings if I ever factory reset the router, but it hasn’t happened yet.

As regards the new router and a replacement Now remote, they don’t interact all all. But the physical remote can control the Now box directly, via IR (InfraRed) without reference to whatever WiFi it is or isn’t on, and be usable to set the new router details on the Now box.

So you really ought to get a new remote, to save all the WiFi faffing about for the sake of a few quid.

@gavs82008  thinks you need to factory reset the Now box to pair it with the new remote, but I think any suitable remote will ‘just work’ withe the Now box, as there is no pairing mechanism on them. But if you get one, you can just pop the batteries in and try it, and if I’m wrong, do the factory reset 😛

Then, whatever you decide with the new router, whether you use its default SSID and password, or use the SSID and password of the old router on the new one, as above, make sure the Now box is set to agree with the SSID and password that the router now has.

Good luck!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Lots of replacement remotes on Amazon and eBay, in the £6-£8 price band e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Control-Boxes-SMART/dp/B0858TR3HC/ref=asc_df_B0858TR3HC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=428082543738&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1620330608683905462&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006680&hvtargid=pla-906533034189&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=99265830363&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=428082543738&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1620330608683905462&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006680&hvtargid=pla-906533034189

It’s only the Now Stick where obtaining a remote has been problematic in the past.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

do you know if it is possible to connect the remote to the box without the wifi being connected?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You would need to dona factory reset to the box to sync up the remote.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick