cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wifi Signal

Live in a bungalow but wifi doesnt reach to all rooms. How can I boost signal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

I have Powerline Adaptors to give me WiFi in my garden office, a very long way from the house.

In effect, the signal is carried on the mains cables most of the way, and then there’s a WiFi point where it comes out of the mains again.

Have a look at these ones from Curry’s, making sure it says WiFi (the WPA ones). My pair are the WPA7510s, £60, but there is now a cheaper pair, WPA4220s, £38, that should be nearly as good. And BT ones even cheaper, though reviews of these are mixed.

Put the sending plug in near the router, with a short Ethernet cable to link it to the router, and the other, WiFi, one in a mains socket at the other end of the bungalow.

Annoyingly, these units don’t seem to have a repeater mains socket on them, so each will take up a socket.

I’m intrigued by this new development, where you actually change an existing  mains socket for one with a WiFi repeater in it. This is a different arrangement from the above, as the socket does need to be in WiFi range of the router, but it then casts its own WiFi field even further out; so you would probably put one of those about halfway down your bungalow from the router. Or further, if you could.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If the NowTV Hub Router is not in a central location in your Bungalow and it can't be re positioned due to practical reasons.

Firstly have a play around with the Hub Router wifi channels and see if using 2.4ghz or 5ghz freq bands makes any difference to the wifi performance making sure the Router is located in a sensible position and height with nothing blocking the Router.

Then maybe look into a wifi booster or powerline Ethernet adapter plugs with inbuilt wifi booster extenders.

My NowTV Hub Router covers my House pretty well so i have no need to use a wifi booster or powerline plugs so i cannot recommend any particular manufacturer or model number sorry.

RoyB
Legend

I have Powerline Adaptors to give me WiFi in my garden office, a very long way from the house.

In effect, the signal is carried on the mains cables most of the way, and then there’s a WiFi point where it comes out of the mains again.

Have a look at these ones from Curry’s, making sure it says WiFi (the WPA ones). My pair are the WPA7510s, £60, but there is now a cheaper pair, WPA4220s, £38, that should be nearly as good. And BT ones even cheaper, though reviews of these are mixed.

Put the sending plug in near the router, with a short Ethernet cable to link it to the router, and the other, WiFi, one in a mains socket at the other end of the bungalow.

Annoyingly, these units don’t seem to have a repeater mains socket on them, so each will take up a socket.

I’m intrigued by this new development, where you actually change an existing  mains socket for one with a WiFi repeater in it. This is a different arrangement from the above, as the socket does need to be in WiFi range of the router, but it then casts its own WiFi field even further out; so you would probably put one of those about halfway down your bungalow from the router. Or further, if you could.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.