cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What is the operating system on the nowtv box

I have been trying to find out what the operating system is on the nowtv box, but there are no results when I google it.

Can anyone here say what it is.

The reason I want to know is because the app won't work on some android devices but will on others, and consequently I'm confused as to why not.

Is there something in the code which detects a device and says yes or no as it were.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Google did develop a version of Android for streaming boxes, called AndroidTV. It is possible that your Android boxes are using that version. I don’t know anything more about that version, so that’s another thing to add to your research list. I feel like a teacher handing out homework assignments. 

Oh, and your Android TV is almost certainly running RokuOS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Since the Now TV boxes/sticks are made by Roku the’ll use RokuOS. I’ll leave it to you to research the differences between RokuOS and Android.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, and I didn't know that there was a Roku OS.

Part of my question was why does the nowtv app work on some android devices, but not others

It runs on my Android smart TV, my android phone and tablet, but not on any android boxes.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Google did develop a version of Android for streaming boxes, called AndroidTV. It is possible that your Android boxes are using that version. I don’t know anything more about that version, so that’s another thing to add to your research list. I feel like a teacher handing out homework assignments. 

Oh, and your Android TV is almost certainly running RokuOS.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, thanks for that.

yes, my Android TV may well be running a version of Roku OS, and I'll accept that.

But my tablet and phone are not.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Mark_Weinreb 

Hi Avalon

I don't know if this bit of knowledge I am about to impart will help but here we go, Now TV does not, on the whole, support Android. In other words, the Now TV app will not work with Android streaming boxes, the Nvidea Shield, some Android TVs and a lot of other Android based devices.  I believe, but cannot confirm, that this was primarily an anti-piracy decision made by Sky, Now TV's owners. 

Although the Now TV app will work with Android smartphones and tablets, it will not work with them if the Android OS has been tampered with or enhanced, i.e. Jail Broken, like some imported (Chinese) devices.

BTW, as mentioned before, Now TV and Roku streaming devices, as well as some newer TVs, run on Roku OS, a proprietary Linux based OS developed and maintain by Roku.

UK Bob