cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VPN not supported

I have a now tv black box and I’ve had no problems with it, so far! But went to watch live telly on it tonight and it keeps showing me the message

“ we have detected your using a VPN and don’t permit this”

How can I watch my now tv again?!
Help! 😂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem, and had not set up a VPN. However a quick reset of my router fixed it.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

a lot of things have changed since you posted. first a vpn is a must and second if you configure your vpn to a uk add (for instance) then you can navigate around it. any probs and i will talk ya through it........lucks

Hi Dr

Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard as a router manufactured with an inbuilt VPN facility, although I know it is possible.  VPN has always been something that has to be added in and deliberately configured.

However, if you can point to a make and model of router with VPN then I will gladly go through the specs to check it out.

UK Bob 

@ukbobboy

Granted! 😉

There are several router models by Asus (e.g. AC56U), Draytek (most) and Netgear (e.g. R7000) and I'm sure other router brands that include VPN capability within their firmware/user interface, so all the user has to do is (perhaps tweak the VPN config settings and then) activate it from within the router UI to use it.

It's quite easy to set up a Raspberry Pi as a VPN server. I did that a while back as an experiment. Now, for example, I can make a secure connection between my smartphone and the internet from a wifi hotspot via my home broadband.

In this case, however, from what the OP has stated in reply, it sounds like NOW TV has mistakenly detected access via a VPN when the user is not doing so. So there must be some other explanation for the issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

One possibility might be that BT have assigned an IP address that NowTV thinks is abroad so to connect to it in the UK you must be using a VPN.

To find your assigned IP try checkmyip.com .

You could then go to NowTV and ask them where they think it is...

Unless of course you aren't in the UK ...

Cheers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem, and had not set up a VPN. However a quick reset of my router fixed it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To whome this may consern.

Here goes, My wife has a laptop that worked with a differnent provided before moving to Nowtv broadband. She was unable to connect to her company server with the said laptop for outlook emails and files.

Her IT company tried to solve this but concluded that Nowtv will not allow her connection to the company VPN server.

I have used my phone tethering, she has used my office wifi and even tried it in a cafe with no problem.

The chat room said there should be no problem, but the problem persisits.

I have been on a chat with the Nowtv team who said I was to post this message and it would solved.

Nowtv mentioned that this is a domestic use only broadband provider. I'm unsure of the implication of this or how to interpritate it, to me it does seem like this is the issue.

This comes way short of using a domestic broadband as a work platform. if this is the case then Nowtv are in someway control of what Email accounts we can log into. The above mentioned i can log into my work gmail email account with no problem.

What i would like is an solution to the above or an admition of what they Nowtv impose on our usage.

An answer or better, a problem solved would greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Hilzer

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have a read of this help guide article, where there is a section on how to connect to your work VPN from home when using NowTV Broadband Buddy.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/broadband-buddy-troubleshooting

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks but did not help.

I'm not sure if your Nowtv tech or a user.

NOW buddy has been switched off (not in use).

list of advice does not apply.

I'm not an IT wizard and only know my way around a computer as an amateur, and therefore need help resolving this.

1 I have a wife with a laptop that she uses to log into her office 365 account over the company VPN

2 she used to be able to connect using ee

she now can't unless we go to a cafe, use my phones hotspot or my office wifi.

3 Her IT company are blaming Nowtv

4 NOWtv don't seem to be able to offer any help.

5 I'm Stuck in the middle.

what to do next?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am a nowtv customer just like you Smiley Happy.

You can identify NowTV staff forum members on here where they have nowtv identified under their status name and their avatar photo will show the NowTV logo on it.

Instead of switching off the Broadband Buddy, did you try going into the Broadband Buddy settings and under Block & Allow websites enter your wife's work place VPN server address under the Allowed websites ?

Sorry i couldn't help any further Smiley Sad.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you so much for the help, I will try as you suggest.

I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Paul
Anonymous User
Not applicable

you cannot run a vpn if you are using it on your internet,if you are not using a vpn reset ip router and restart if does not work ring customer care about watching nowtv