cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VPN not supported

I have a now tv black box and I’ve had no problems with it, so far! But went to watch live telly on it tonight and it keeps showing me the message

“ we have detected your using a VPN and don’t permit this”

How can I watch my now tv again?!
Help! 😂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem, and had not set up a VPN. However a quick reset of my router fixed it.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User easy disconnect the VPN and you will be fine to watch.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

champion4 if you configure your router then no probs with vpn

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m going to sound silly then, how do I do that?! Ha ha! Is it in the settings?

Thanks for your reply!
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Try switching off your Router at the power mains for say 20 minutes which should then default the Router automatically back to it's ISP settings.

At the same time you may as well switch off the nowtv box, after about 20 minutes power back on the Router first (let it go through it's start up cycle) then power back on the nowtv box.

Hopefully it should re connect to your wifi network automatically, if not go into your nowtv box network settings and re establish a wifi network connection to your Router.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Kazzi

Just a thought, it seems that you've got a tech whizz in your home because that's the only way VPN can be setup on your system, i.e. someone had to set it up, probably without you knowing about it.

Schnapps advice is "on the money", by switching off your devices you will effectively temporarily kill the VPN software running on your router, unless your "tech whizz" has configured it to auto-reboot or switches it on again.

The easiest way to rid yourself of this problem is to get your T-Whizz to delete it.

UK Bob 

If it's a router based VPN (i.e. configured within router settings), I would think it's likely to persist (remain configured and turned on) even after a router reboot.

So would require EITHER going into the router config and turning it off OR factory reset the router (the nuclear option but could upset any other options that are configured so would suggest making a backup of router config settings before doing that!)

If it's not a router based VPN, then some other action will be required.

ukbobboy
Legend

@dr_necessitor @schnapps @Anonymous User

Hi Dr

Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard as a router manufactured with an inbuilt VPN facility, although I know it is possible.  VPN has always been something that has to be added in and deliberately configured.

However, if you can point to a make and model of router with VPN then I will gladly go through the specs to check it out.

UK Bob

PS. Kazzi, out of interest, what is the make and model of your router?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It’s a BT router we have, I am still none the wiser as to what VPN is or how to fix it haha!
The live chat on now tv have told me I have to contact BT to solve the problem?
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Kazzi

VPN stands for "Virtual Private Network" and is primarily used when you want to add extra security to your computer system, which is done by hiding your computer from the Internet.

VPN can also be used to pretend you are in another country, e.g. while Internet surfing in the UK your computer could look as if it is in the US.  Which is why Now TV does not like it because you could be anywhere is the world while pretending to be in the UK, hence your error message.

However, I did do a quick bit of research and found that BT hubs/routers do not come pre-installed with VPN so someone must have installed it.

But my research was "quick and dirty" so could be wrong on the "pre-installed VPN" front, so it would be a good idea to contact BT to either switch off this VPN or help get rid it.

Good luck

UK Bob