cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using now box in a caravan.

We have just bought a now tv box for use at home but can it also be used in our caravan?

Wifi is transmitted over the caravan site, there are no individual routers. We are able to watch iplayer etc on ipad there using wifi but want to use the now box to upgrade our tv which has no catch up.

The tv is not very modern , no hd so now box would be useful.

Will the box easily adjust from one wifi to another and will it work on older tv ( it does have hdmi connection).

New to now tv so any help most welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If the TV has a HDMI port then you should be fine to connect the box to it. The box can connect to the caravan site wifi if it's the sort of wifi where they provide you with a wifi name and password that you connect to in the same way you would connect to your home wifi, but if it's the sort of access where you need to open a web browser and enter the password into a webpage (like some hotels or Internet cafes do) then the box won't be able to connect to that.

Bear in mind the wifi network would need to be able to provide you with a fairly stable connection for good results, NOW TV recommend a minimum speed of 2.5Mbps.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If the TV has a HDMI port then you should be fine to connect the box to it. The box can connect to the caravan site wifi if it's the sort of wifi where they provide you with a wifi name and password that you connect to in the same way you would connect to your home wifi, but if it's the sort of access where you need to open a web browser and enter the password into a webpage (like some hotels or Internet cafes do) then the box won't be able to connect to that.

Bear in mind the wifi network would need to be able to provide you with a fairly stable connection for good results, NOW TV recommend a minimum speed of 2.5Mbps.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

PS if you meant to say the TV DOESN'T have a HDMI port then see the following help article for further info (a white NOW TV box might be able to connect but you need an extra cable, a black box can't connect to a TV with no HDMI port)

http://help.nowtv.com/article/No-HDMI-port-NOW-TV-Box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for your reply - it was very helpful.

Although wifi good speed and stable we have to go through a web browser page so  it looks as though we won't be able to use it but you have saved us the frustration of trying to get it to work.

Thanks again Holly2

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You're welcome, have you installed the NOW TV app on your iPad? You'll still be able to watch via that so all is not lost!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quick tip

You could buy a Roku box (essentially what a Now TV Box is) that runs their new OS 7. This has a new feature called Hotel and Dorm which allows the Roku to connect to WiFi networks that have captive portals such as the one at your campsite.

https://blog.roku.com/blog/2015/10/06/roku-uk-introducing-roku-os-7-and-our-new-mobile-app/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheapest way would be HDMI Streaming Stick which runs 7

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for all responses. Helped me greatly. I can now catch up at my caravan.😍
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

For anybody interested, the good news is NOW TV boxes can now be used to connect to public wifi networks that require authentication via webpage, which should help users wanting to connect to eg some hotel or student networks.

Currently this is available on the standard black NOW TV box, more details here
https://help.nowtv.com/article/use-now-tv-device-in-hotel-or-student-accommodation

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have read all the posts regarding the now tv box connecting over public WiFi and note the latest response that as opposed to a while ago it couldn't connect, it now can.

I have the issue that I've tried to connect after paying for temporary WiFi but the WiFi roku site that it advises to connect to does nothing. The only Web page that then comes up is the page relating to the WiFi provider and nothing more.

Help would be much appreciated