cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using latest Now TV box with analogue TV

We currently have one of the white Now TV boxes and it keeps stopping all the time when watching youtube, it goes back to the start menu, it is extremely annoying, also very slow on BBC iplayer. 

We have an old analogue TV which we like very much, there is a converter lead I purchased from Sky - (AV out to yellow red and white leads that plugs in our TV), that can be used with the white Now TV box.

Is anyone aware if we can use the newest black box with an analogue TV, we have no hdmi input?

I know there are various adaptors available on ebay etc. but a lot of people have said they don't work.

Do Now TV sell one?

I am happy to buy the latest box if it will work but don't want to pay £40 for the box and £20 for adaptors and find out we can't use it.  Are the new boxes a lot better than the old white one?

Thanks in advance

W Smiley Very Happy

3 REPLIES 3
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

Vendors such as eBay and Amazon offer plenty of 'HDMI to (composite) AV converters', which various different names. And can be bought for as little as £15.00

However, the sound and image quality produced by many of them is often very poor, as these budget devices tend to use the same digital to analogue converter chip-sets/electronics.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Looks like buying a new box and one of these adaptors is a bit of a gamble then!  Thanks for the info.

Perhaps it is better using youtube on an iPad and streaming it to the TV, haven't tried this yet to see if it works better.

Am stuck with the old white box until we are forced to change our TV I suppose?

It's a shame Sky did an analogue adaptor lead for the white box and then decided not to have this option for the 2 newer black Now tv boxes!!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...It's a shame Sky did an analogue adaptor lead for the white box and then decided not to have this option for the 2 newer black Now tv boxes!!

More and more manufacturers have removed the composite analogue output connections from their high-definition capable playback devices. Primarily because the composite analogue output is not capable of offering high-definition images, it's not 'secure' and it costs more to produce!

Sufficed to say, televisions have been fitted with HDMI inputs for approx 15 years now and video connection technology has moved on.

Analogue video is dead. All hail digital video 😉