cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using blackbox With tv

Hi

An elderly lady friend of mine has been bought a Now tv original box for Xmas and although I have set it up for her she wants when turning on her tv for it to go straight to DVT and switch to the HDMI only as a second option otherwise she is finding it too confusing to start with.

Is this possible or is the only way to do this to disconnect the box and connect it when she uses NOW

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Legend 5
Legend 5

My own TV allows me to select DTV as permanent and change to HDMI when required. @Anonymous User does your friend know how to switch on her TV remote?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes of course she knows how to put TV on but it goes straight into hdmi now that she has the box attached. Do I have to change the TV settings somehow?
Thanks

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

I’d guess from your description that ‘HDMI-control’ is enabled on the TV. If the TV is on DTV when put on standby, it should still be on DTV when powered up again. But if HDMI-control is enabled it will switch to HDMI when a button is pressed on the NOW TV remote. To switch back to DTV after watching your friend would need to change the source back to DTV again (and usually there is a ‘TV’ button to do this one-press rather than going through the source menu). 

If you don’t want the TV to switch to the box automatically, you can disable this feature in the box by going to Settings > System > Control other devices and disabling 1-touch play. Your friend will then need to select the HDMI source manually instead.

Which method works best will be down to personal preference. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks Andy I will give this a try when I visit her
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy
I disabled the 1 touch play but it hasn't worked. Am I missing something ?
Thanks
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User That should work in most cases but just to check I'm understanding the problem correctly, the box should only have been causing the TV to switch to its source when a button is pressed on the box remote. Is that what was happening, or is it that every time the TV turns on its always on the box source regardless of what was last watched?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Andy
Yes the problem is that when she switches on the tv it goes to dvt for a second and then switches itself to the now box automatically. I followed your steps but no joy
Thanks
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Ah right, no you're right, the setting I gave you just stops it sending a 'look at me' message when a button is pressed on the remote. I think that's probably because the TV is recognising there's an active video stream on an input (the box keeps it open)  and switching to it automatically (some TVs are set to do that eg when SCART connections go active). I'll have a think but off the top of my head I'm afraid I don't know a solution to that (you could have a poke around the TV settings se if anything stands out, you could try disabling CEC on the TV but it's not a CEC command that's causing it so I don't think it would make any difference).

Perhaps post the make and model of the TV and someone else might have some thoughts. Sorry.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ok thanks Andy 😀