cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tv with no internal speakers

Hi all
I have a tv with no internal speakers but plays through a Pioneer home cinema system. I've just closed my Sky TV subscription and trying to use NOW Smart Box. The Sky box connected to the home cinema system via optical. The TV has just 1 HDMI socket. I can get the picture with NOW but no sound. I'm not too bothered about getting surround sound (I don't think this box does it anway) but any sound would be useful! I've tried as many different combos of cables with no joy. Also read info on here but still no joy. Apart from buying a new Tv, any ideas?!
Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User

Hi Guys

From what I can see from the TV specs, there should be an "Audio Line Out", although I could not make out that port from the picture, and this should be able to connect to an "Audio Line In" on the AV kit.

One thing does surprise me though, there is no HDMI port (or ports) on the Pioneer AV kit.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

One thing does surprise me though, there is no HDMI port (or ports) on the Pioneer AV kit.

I used to have something similar, they pre-date HDMI technology, designed for connection to CRT TVs.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Having a quick look at the Hitachi TV specs and the Pioneer HTS manual, you should be able to take a RCA white & red phono cable from your TV audio out and connect to the back of the Pioneer HTS  TV in (red & white sockets) ?

Then check in the TV menu settings where you might have to enable Audio line out, and also you may have to select TV Aux audio input source on your Pioneer remote.

If that doesn't work maybe try the headphones out on the Hitachi TV to the TV audio input on the Pioneer HTS (again in the TV sound menu you may have to switch on headphones out (if not automatically done by the TV) and also check the external audio source button on your Pioneer remote. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Have tried again with the red & white. Still no luck. Have played with all the audio settings I can find but still not a sound 😭 I give up!
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi BB72

It's more than likely that your AV unit or TV has developed a fault, BTW I got a question, did you buy your TV without their detachable speakers and if so why?

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If the RCA audio out doesn't work from your Hitachi TV, then try the headphones socket on the TV by using a headphones jack to RCA red & white phono cable connected into the Audio line in red and white sockets on your Pioneer HTS.

I am guessing when you tried the Audio out on your TV you pressed the function button on the Pioneer remote until the correct input source is showing.

If you are still getting no joy and you have tried all configurations, then a HDMI audio extractor might be the cheapest option.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It was a hand me down! It came with the speakers but we couldn't get them to work (neither could the Sky man) so we chucked them.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Looking at your TV it had external speakers but I'm guessing you don't have/use them any more? Looks like there is component L/R audio output on your TV which you should be able to connect to the L/R audio inputs on the Pioneer with a stereo RCA cable which should work. Optical out and HDMI is out of the question.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I connected my tv to the sound bar with a coaxial cable, this then plays the sound from the tv / Now TV and any other connected box. If your tv has a coaxial output that will give you the best, hassle free, sound solution.  

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you follow @schnapps link above to the manual for this TV, you will see that it doesn’t have coaxial out.

But what I also noticed there is that while the speakers that come with this TV set are pretty special in fit and form factor, electrically they probably aren’t, and any old pair of speakers with sufficient sensitivity to be loud enough on the TV’s 12 watts output, placed one to each side, will probably do.

Though that nobody could get the supplied speakers working may indicate that the audio amp in the TV is blown.

The final mystery is why buy the 4K box when the TV, like the NowTV signal, is just HD Ready?

But maybe this is future proofing for when the existing kit is donated to the nearest museum? Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.