cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tv with no internal speakers

Hi all
I have a tv with no internal speakers but plays through a Pioneer home cinema system. I've just closed my Sky TV subscription and trying to use NOW Smart Box. The Sky box connected to the home cinema system via optical. The TV has just 1 HDMI socket. I can get the picture with NOW but no sound. I'm not too bothered about getting surround sound (I don't think this box does it anway) but any sound would be useful! I've tried as many different combos of cables with no joy. Also read info on here but still no joy. Apart from buying a new Tv, any ideas?!
Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

A quick question, is the NowTV Smart Box connected directly to your TV only HDMI port and even though your TV doesn't have any inbuilt speakers, does the TV offer any outboard sound out option (such as optical out, RCA phono red / white out or headphones out) ?

What is the model of your Pioneer Home Theatre System and Television ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User

Hi Schnapps

I was going to suggest that BB72 uses the HDMI ARC In and HDMI ARC Out sockets to connect up his Now TV device and TV, providing such sockets exists on his AV equipment.

UK Bob 

PS. I know very little about AV equipment but I do believe they have HDMI ARC sockets.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

With ARC over HDMI both the TV and Pioneer HTS need the ARC feature at both ends.

Not sure if @Anonymous User TV and Pioneer HTS provides ARC (would help if we know the TV make & model number together with the Pioneer HTS model to see what sound options are available to use if any) ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User

Hi again Schnapps

I just want to clarify a couple of points with you, bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about AV systems but I do know a minuscule bit about how ARC are suppose to work, so please correct me if I make a mistake during my explanation.

OK and here we go.

1) The Now TV device can be plugged directly into the HDMI ARC In socket.

2) Next, using a second HDMI cable of which one end should be plugged into the HDMI ARC Out socket and the other end of the cable into the TV (I believe BB72 said his TV only has one HDMI input socket).

Now I believe this will allow the sound element of the Now TV box to be used by the AV system while the visuals passed through to the TV. I think that this will also allow one remote to control both TV and AV system, such as "off and on" and volume up and down.

This is the sum total of my knowledge about ARC and AVs.

Over to you.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

In my setup there is only a need for one HDMI cable to work on ARC between my TV and Soundbar.

TV HDMI port 2 (ARC enabled) connected to my Soundbar HDMI In /out (ARC enabled).

Then any on board TV sound such as the Inbuilt Freeview TV tuner, smart Apps on the TV or external connected HDMI devices such Blu ray player, NowTV box etc connected directly into my TV's HDMI ports, then automatically sends the sound down the HDMI port 2 (ARC) cable to the sound bar to provide the audio.

Let's see if @Anonymous User can provide the model numbers of both TV and HTS (which will give us a better insight) to see if there is a simple & cheap solution to the current issue of no sound in their setup when using the nowtv smart box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Should you have no sound out option on your TV to connect into your Pioneer HTS, and you have looked at all possibilities in your setup and you don't want to spend a lot of money on a new TV, then maybe look at a HDMI audio extractor.

I have tested an audio extractor on my nowtv smart box where the HDMI from the smart box passes through the Audio extractor into the TV for the picture side of things and I connected the sound out either over optical or RCA to my outboard Amp and Speakers.

Seem to work fine in my setup when testing. 

This is the sort of audio extractor that I used (link below).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-to-Analog-SPDIF-Optical-4K-L-R-RCA-Audio-Extractor-Converter-Splitter/253115139616?epid=2206554817&hash=item3aeed68620:g:d0YAAOSw9h9ZoHrH

Please note if you go down this route, i cannot guarantee it will work in your setup or if you encounter any audio lip sync which will be at your own risk.

So make sure you buy from a retailer that offers a full refund returns policy if you are not satisfied with the product.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks both. Pioneer is XV-DV424. TV is Hitachi 42PD7200. Tv does have red & white outputs but I tried linking that to the pioneer but no joy
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I took photos but can't see how to upload?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

No need to upload the pictures, where I have found the specs / manual on the web.

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/en-gb/discontinued-products/plasma-tvs/42-106cm/42pd7200

http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/XV_DV323_XRB3036_manual/?page=1