cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Streaming quality, and voucher codes

Hi, this s my first post, so firstly - this looks like a great forum to get some good advice and help with all things Now TV - lots of friendly folk offering both technical and non-tech advice - good to see Smiley Happy

I have a new Now TV box arriving tomorrow/Thursday and have a couple of questions:

1.  I know the picture quality is 720p for the on demand content, for both Movies and Entertainment, but what about the Live channels?    I appreciate there's a guide on here showing the quality for each device, which states SD in this case, but then it also states SD for iPads, which is definitely wrong as I've trialled it and it is most definitely HD.    I have an Apple TV, which provides HD for the live channels, but the interface is clunky to say the least!  I'm hoping the live channel streaming quality is HD, seems daft to release a new box and cripple it with horrible old SD!

2.  My box comes with a voucher code for 2 months free movies.   When this is approaching the expiry date, can I buy another voucher code from a well known auction site, that provides me with another 2 months for around half the full 'normal' price?    I'm led to believe I can, but just wanted to check if others have done so, by applying the voucher code rather than paying by direct debit.

Any advice much appreciated..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum, flattery will get you everywhere 😉

1. On the box live channels look very good to me, I've used an Apple TV as well as whilst the live channels used to look much better the difference isn't really there anymore, I suspect they are pretty close to 720p and NOW TV are just covering their backs by not claiming 720p. However I've never been that impressed with my iPad streams, so if you are happy with those you'll definitely be happy with the box!

2. Yep, the system will let you apply another voucher code once you are inthe last month of any currently applied code, so you can keep feeding it with those if you wish. If you don't want to take a punt at eBay vouchers you can buy vouchers from official outlets as well.

You can buy vouchers for NOW TV from places such as Game (online and emailed immediately  or in-store), Argos, Currys and PC World. Prices are

Entertainment - 3 months - £15
Entertainment - 5 months - £25
Movies - 2 months - £15
Movies - 3 months - £25
Sky Sports Week Pass - £10

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum, flattery will get you everywhere 😉

1. On the box live channels look very good to me, I've used an Apple TV as well as whilst the live channels used to look much better the difference isn't really there anymore, I suspect they are pretty close to 720p and NOW TV are just covering their backs by not claiming 720p. However I've never been that impressed with my iPad streams, so if you are happy with those you'll definitely be happy with the box!

2. Yep, the system will let you apply another voucher code once you are inthe last month of any currently applied code, so you can keep feeding it with those if you wish. If you don't want to take a punt at eBay vouchers you can buy vouchers from official outlets as well.

You can buy vouchers for NOW TV from places such as Game (online and emailed immediately  or in-store), Argos, Currys and PC World. Prices are

Entertainment - 3 months - £15
Entertainment - 5 months - £25
Movies - 2 months - £15
Movies - 3 months - £25
Sky Sports Week Pass - £10

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brilliant stuff Andy, many thanks for the information - those prices look pretty good for the vouchers too - especially after paying for a Sky TV subscription for 15 years (ends in a couple of weeks).

Looking forward to using the box when it arrives - that's good news on the streaming quality.   I've actually bought two, one for our 2nd TV too.   Our broadband isn't fibre, but is pretty fast at 16Mbps, and both TVs have a wired Ethernet switch for connection, so it should all be pretty good I hope.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I'm not on fibre either and there's no issues with the quality, you should be fine. You can register up to 

four devices and watch on up to two at the same time, so you should be able to have Apple TV, iPad and your two boxes dotted around the house for NOW TV coverage, definitely cheaper than Sky with Multiscreen!

Enjoy your boxes when they arrive! 🙂

mark_suff
Expert

Welcome to the forums, we're a pretty friendly bunch on here one of the better forums. As Andy has said the quality is officially  SD for live channels, although I agree with him that it's very near if not at 720p HD, and certainly a lot better than the "SD" on my Freesat box. 

You'll be fine with 16mb broadband especially as you've said you'll be using a Ethernet connection, having a stable connection (not always possible on wireless) is as important as having fast one. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new box, I know I use mine more than my freesat box now, let us know how you're getting on once you've had a play. If you've got any other queries jump back on here, there's always someone around to help.

Mark. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I've now set up both boxes, so we now have Now TV runningly very smoothly on both TVs with a wired ethernet connection.  Setup was very easy.   I've also sourced some voucher codes and checked their expiry dates, so I have my next 4-6 months viewing sorted and have saved a huge amount compared to our Sky subscription.

Downside of course is the lack of recording facility, and black screen when fast forwarding/rewinding.    For the former, I think the sheer amount of on-demand content makes up for that, and as for the FF/RW issue - I can live with that.

I have Movies and Entertainment, and will be buying the odd Sky Sports Day or Week pass when required.    I like the way you can apply the day pass but then have 365 days to use it.

All good so far.

Next job - sideloading Plex!