cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stand by without screensaver option

Hi all,

Been on live chat, twitter, email etc etc and cant get a simple answer to this - appreciate similiar questions are raised a number of times

If the screensaver setting is turned off will the box go into stand by mode (white light goes off)? HDMI source will be different and tv in standby etc. That is all i need answering but cant get a straight answer!

To me it makes sense that the screensaver is used for the standby function but veryone suggests to me it should still goin to standby with the option turned off

Before anyone asks about checking cables etc ive tried everything (reset the box, different cables, tvs even  a different box) and it doesnt go in to standby without the screensaver turned on. When screensaver is turned on it goes into standby no problem. I have it turned off due to the purple screen issue which im also trying to rectify

Appreciate any help or other peoples experiences

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as i am aware the screensaver seems to be the standby option, at least from my own experiance. If the screensaver is disabled the HDMI signal output is with whatever content is on screen, the power light stays illuminated and if your on the homescreen you can see it is still activiely connected to wifi and periodily updating the content (unlike if the screensaver was active it appears to update once you interrupt it, the light goes out etc). There isnt a way to have a proper standby mode where the HDMI signal is fully off (like on many other non NowTV boxes). I have always found this annoying myslef as it prevents TV's from auto switching inputs when you have multiple devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add to my last comment as i coudlt edit it. My referance was to the normal black boxes not the smart boxes. Though i dont have a smart box from what ive read i belive those do have two types of standby mode (active and passive).

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User  good question.  I have disabled the screen saver on mine and left it on in other room.  I will let you know later if it went into standby.  I think it should eventually.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User  good question.  I have disabled the screen saver on mine and left it on in other room.  I will let you know later if it went into standby.  I think it should eventually.

Hi @4268 @Anonymous User

Screensaver aside, I believe there is a four hour inactivity limit, then the box should go into standby. So it will be interesting to see what it does. The four hour inactivity standby setting is separate to the screensaver setting.

The box should also go into standby after two or three minutes of not being able to detect output device , for example. If you turn your TV off

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well i can verify that neither of my non-smart black boxes go into standby if the screensaver is disabled, thus why i have it enabled (I have the screensaver enabled in the bedroom becuase thats the only way the box goes into standby and turns off the white light, which is very bright at night when your trying to sleep).

I do remember a four hour inactivty timer in the past but that was to do with streaming, if you hadnt touched the remote for 4 hours while streaming it would exit it. However that seems to have been removed a long time ago.

Edit: just checked my box in the other room which hasnt been touched for 2 days, the tv its connected hasnt been on either and can confirm it is not in standby. (screensaver being disabled on that one).

Legend 5
Legend 5

Update so far it hasn't gone into standby. It is on the home page.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Legend 5
Legend 5

Update it eventually went into standby @Anonymous User but took a good 4 plus hours to do so.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268That's interesting. I wonder why my boxes do not do that then unless the screensaver is active, and well never have done. My old white ones never did either.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses - how curious that some do and some dont! I can only guess maybe the TVs themselves have some effect on this? Or the boxes are completely random! What brand TVs do you guys have?