cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legend 5
Legend 5

Some Freeview viewable on the Black Box :-)

You need:
1) the playto app loaded on your box. If it is not already there, you should be able to find it under photosand videos section.
2)the universal playto app on your android device (it costs £3.82 for the app, but you can use the free version for a 10 min test).
Instructions:
1) Add the two apps to your devices.
2)Click on the playto app on your Now box, a screen should come up that has the playto flame logo at top and a message at side saying stream media with the option to go back below that.
3)Now go to the Playto app on your android device
The first time you use it you will likely see 4 choices. Online, Media Servers, Device and Cricket .
4)Click Online
5) From list select TV
6)From list that appears scroll down and click to select Filmon
7)Select UK Live TV
8)This should bring up a list on freeview Channels, It includes all the channel 5 variations, Dave and others but not all channels- no film4 for example.
9)At the bottom of your screen there should be a yellow/orange bar with a white arrow, a small picture (this is the device it will cast to) and three dots. If you click the device it should show you the devices on your network, you need to select the Roku option (for the black box it is Roku 3). Please note the app will remember your choice.
10)press the green play button next to the channel you want to watch. It should load on your android device.
11)click the play button at the top
12) the app on your box should activate and show retrieving and then play your chosen channel.

Hope this works for you guys. I have the app running on a Huawei Y550-L01. Enjoy 🙂
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have very poor reception at different times on differing multiplexes. Oddly enough the HD multiplex is generally fine on my Samsung smart tv. However, for occasional desire to watch an SD programme that is unwatchable at a particular date, such as channel 5, then to be able to use playto for that live channel would be a big plus. 

Having only ever downloaded free apps for my tablet, I actually have no idea if the £3.82 for the playto app means a once-off payment, or is per month. Please advise ??

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User it is a one off payment. You do get the film on logo at top, but it streams fine. You don't get every channel. Your android device works as a remote. The channel remains connected even if you switch TV to stand by.  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi 4268

As an exercise for my old retired brain, I actually used your instructions to get "PlayTo" working on my "White" NowTV box, while casting from my ancient Android (Ver. 4.2.2) Tablet. 

Admittedly, I had to make some minor changes to your instructions but I got it all working without too much difficulty.

However, the picture quality ranged from poor (240p - free 10 minutes) to SD (480p - paid for) which really is not that good unless you are really desperate.

As said, this was just an exercise for me and I don't think I'll ever use this "PlayTo" app again.

UK Bob

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy true it is probably not the best quality picture if you have a high spec TV. However for me it is useful when the aerial signal is playing up in bad weather. My partner is from Northern Ireland and it allows us to watch BBC Northern Ireland, which we can't do here on Freeview. 

ukbobboy
Legend

Yeah 4268,

I see your point, for those of us with specific viewing requirements "PlayTo" can be very useful.

Cheers.

UK Bob