cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Screen mirror

Can I or can I not screen mirror my phone screen to my now tv box?

I was lead to believe it would turn my old tv into a smart tv so I could screen mirror my bt sport app etc to the spare tv like my samsung smart tv can. My parents Roku stick allows this, and i was lead to believe these are basically roku sticks inside another box. Already have a sky box downstairs so if this is just another way to get sky i'll have wasted my money.
19 REPLIES 19
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. No, I'm afraid you won't be able to do what you're after. You're right the NOW TV box is a modified Roku device, but it's primarily a vehicle for NOW TV, Sky Store and catch-up services, so part of the customisation includes removing some advanced features such as Android/Windows screen mirroring, as well as restricting available apps to only those in the box's App Store. If you want to use Roku's screen mirroring feature you would need to get a normal Roku device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy. Gutted. So i've just bought a device that does exactly what my sky box, ps3, ps4 and xbox 360 do!
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Sorry! Yeah it's pretty much the apps you see pre installed and in the App Store, I think they remove other apps and features to justify the cheaper price and also not eat into Roku sales too much.

You could try returning the box and see if they will refund if you explain it doesn't have the features you were lead to believe it does, not sure which retailer you got from but some are more understanding than others (if it involves a long journey might be worth contacting them first).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Done the same gutted

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy, is it that these features are disabled or physically removed, as where you can side load apps by putting it in developer mode, I’ve been trying to find a way to install allcast to use it to stream from other devices... within the allcast app it picks up both my NowTV boxes as Roku streaming devices? But cant find allcast in Roku Channel format to install
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. They are disabled in the NOW TV Box as those advanced features are meant to be used on the full-price Roku models rather than the low-cost NOW TV boxes. There is no AllCast app for Roku boxes, it just uses the built-in casting support that Rokus have, so whilst your AllCast app on your phone will recognise the NOW TV box as a Roku device (because essentially that is what it is) if you try and cast to it it will fail.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the prompt reply👍🏼
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So what is the Device Connect setting under Advanced system settings?

It states "enabling 'Device connect's will let you:

Mirror what's on your smartphone, tablet or PC via ''sceen mirroring' ...

Alk2
Scholar

Has anyone got casting to work with their NowTV black box from an iOS device?

I tried with "Video & TV Cast | Roku Player " app and whilst it detects the NowTV device, it fails to cast. 

Under Advanced System Settings -> Device Connect, it is enabled, but there is no description about screen mirroring as described by TNTPro.

Thank you.