cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Router upgrade

hi all, to cut a long story down to a more manageable length i run a file server and a Web server at home.

now with the router i have it only has two ethernet ports, i desperately need more ethernet ports, and ive noticed that my network seems slow when more than 3 users have connected to the servers.

which adsl routets are supported by nowtv as i could definitely do with buying a new router 

2 REPLIES 2
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Yoda

Have you thought about adding an Ethernet Hub to your Now TV router, it's possible you may get better performance if you had more ports than just continue with the standard two.

Check out this Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Ethernet+hub&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @ukbobboy 

Upgrading with BT, their 4-port router, which I was running maxed out on connections, turned into a 3-port router, as the 4th port had to be used for the fibre modem connection.

Accordingly I added an Ethernet hub, indeed one in the reference you are quoting (though it was cheaper at Curry’s at that time) ensuring I got an 8-port Gigabit one, to serve some devices at more than 100 Mbps, and this seamlessly and inexpensively gave me, effectively, a 9-port router.

However, @ukbobboy I did not expect better performance because I added this hub, and I’m not sure how you think that would work?

And @Anonymous User , to support three users on your servers, you will be using the upload side of your broadband quite a lot for this, and this is likely rather slower than your download speed, the headline speed that ISPs publish. (The A in ADSL stands for Asymmetric).

You might like to try fast.com in your browser, which will tell you what your upload speed is as well as your download speed, and consider if this is fast enough for what your stats tell you is the use people are making of it.

Running servers, over professional broadband, let alone domestic broadband, is fraught with pitfalls and dangers, so I trust you have taken all necessary precautions here 🙀

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.