cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268Thats a valid point but the box should still respond to remote requests despite the HDMI selection and the white light should still blink when a remote button is pressed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi all,

To confirm, I am stuck on the setup page, where you select your language.

Im guessing that Roku won't work as the box isn't actually on my WiFi network yet.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Yep thats correct, the Roku app wouldn't work until you have the box configured to connect to the network (whether via Wifi or Ethernet).

Did you try the hard reset (pin in the hole)?

Do you know anyone who has a NowTV box that you could borrow the remote from quickly just to test? That way you could determine if it's the box or remote at fault. It doesnt matter which box they have as the remotes are all the same despite being different colours and will work on any box.

Just to check also since its a new box, have you removed all the packaging from the box and remote? Sometimes there is transparent stickers over the plastic to protect it. Just check to ensure you havnt left any intact over the remote or box sensors as this can interfere. (Might seem a daft thing to say but there has been cases where people have left them on before).

Another thing you could try is to re-position the box away from other equipment and see if the remote works. Though rare there are some tv's/dvd's etc that work on a simular range and can interupt the signal the remote is sending to the box.

Just some things you can try but if those and other suggestions mentioned earlier don't help i dont think there is much else you can do aside from getting a replacement.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broke our now tv remote. Bought replacement through sky but can't connect it to my box.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Try replacing the batteries in case the ones given were faulty. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Tried that with two sets of different batteries no luck. I must be doing something wrong?
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The remote itself could be faulty. Does the light on the box flicker when you press the buttons?

Did you buy it from the sky accessories website? You may want to contact sky over it if you bought it from them. 🙂

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes bought through Sky website. No signs of life on it at all. The box is on and at the start up screen but nothing on the remote works. Reset the whole thing to factory settings and now even the now tv app won't work.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I just remembered, if you have a smart phone, you can download the roku remote app. (Apple/Google Play). 🙂

Also, you can check if live chat can help you.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Buying-replacement-parts-for-your-NOW-TV-box

Click "contact us" at the bottom of the link and select 'live chat".

Best on a PC/Mac. 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for your help. Now tv are replacing the box. It seems the sensor on the actual box is faulty.