cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: new purchase - remote uselss!

@schnapps - didn't realise you were just helping out. I appreciate your time. 

@ nowtv - some customer service would be nice!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote stops working after 4 minutes

I have had this nowtv box since sept 2015 and since last month the remote suddenly stops working around 4 minutes after the nowtv box is switched on. If I switch the box off, then on again the remote works again for 4 minutes from anywhere (even 15 feet away) and then it stops working again after around 4 mintes. The little white light on the Nowtv box also stops blinking when this happens.

Used new batteries, checked with multimeter and they are full charge.

Anyone had this problem? At first I thought the box was freezing but the time still updates if I go to the info screen before the remote stops working.

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Remote stops working after 4 minutes

@Anonymous User

To take the box out of the equation have you got a smart phone or tablet (Android, IOS or Windows) where you can download the free Roku remote controller app from the app store or have you got an older white NowTV box where you can check the black box using the white remote controller ?

Edit - Forget to mention, when you say that you reset the NowTV box was that a reboot by switching the box off at the mains or was it by a hard factory reset ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Infra red fail

I have this problem but the remote stops working after 4-5 minutes without fail.

The box and remote have been working fine since September 2015 and this suddenly started in May 2016. As soon as I restart the box it works against for 4-5 minutes then stop.

I have sinceI found the box wasn't freezing but the remote after 4 minutes stops working at any distance other than within 1 to 5 cm distance from the Nowtv box.

Very strange, and I don't know if it is a firmware update introduced bug, the box or the remote.

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Reset the box and hard reset with all software downloded again, same behaviour, the remote stops working after 4-5 mins.

I have now found the remote does work but only when placed right next to the box  within 1-5cm distance.

So it works for the first 4-5 mins from any range and then only works if it is basically touching the front of the nowtv box.

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I suggested a few things on your other post.

Suppose you could try a forced software update by going into the box menu settings.

Another question, each night do you switch the NowTV box off at the power mains or leave the box permanently switched on ? 

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Could you try disabling the screensaver in settings and see if the issue continues. I recently discovered a bug with that which may or may not be related to this.
0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have now found the remote does work but only when placed right next to the box  within 1-5cm distance.

So it works for the first 4-5 mins from any range and then only works if it is basically touching the front of the nowtv box.

Sounds like the NowTV box IR receiver is playing up.

I don't think this is effecting you (because you said that the box is working fine when pointing the remote 15ft away for the first 4 minutes before it doesn't seem to accept the IR remote controller commands), but some people have turned the box around 45 degrees (due to the IR receiver is located on the RHS corner of the box) to ensure that the remote controller is in direct line of sight of the box.

Maybe if nobody here comes up with a solution / fix perhaps swapping the box under warranty before the September twelve month purchase date expires.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Must say, as a new now tv customer also, i came across this thread googling 'upgrade now tv remote'! 

It is amazingly crap! Like a remote from 20 years ago! The search option is awful, having to toggle across a alphabet, you press ok, nothing happens, you press it again and end up with the same letter twice. You have to be directly in front, without even a speck of dust between you and the box, or it won't work.

For such a great thing as now tv, please make a better remote, even if only as a upgrade, I'd gladly pay to upgrade mine!

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Don't know if you own a smartphone (Android, IOS or Windows) but the Roku remote control app that you can download for free from the apps store works really well on the NowTV box.

It took me a day or so to get use of my phone has a remote control device (being old fashioned and always using old style remote controllers) but the Roku app works a treat, so responsive over wifi and if you tend to use the search feature like me on the NowTV box typing in movie names or TV shows is a breeze.

I know it doesn't answer your post, but it's worth considering imo.