cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tv remote keep unpairing from tv when i use now tv its a ecostar freesat remote😐
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

What's the make and model number of your television?

Cheers

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Yep, I know that well, I usd to have an  Echostar freesat box and have suffered the problem! I could even get the NOW TV remote to change channels on the Echostar as well!

Unfortunately there never turned out to be a satisfactory solution from Echostar (and as far as I know they've stopped supporting it now). If you are lucky you might be able to position the NOW TV box far enough away that the Echostar doesn't pick up the NOW TV box remote's IR commands but in most situations this is unlikely, so you are left with remembering to pair up the Echostar with its remote each time you use it (it only takes a couple of seconds, if you don't know already point the Echostar remote at the unit and hold down the OK and adjacent RIGHT arrow buttons together until the LED on the remote flashes twice).

The other solution if you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or Android phone/tablet is to download the official Roku app from the relevant App Store (there's a few unofficial ones, go for the official purple icon one from Roku Inc). This will then allow your tablet/phone to be used as a remote for your NOW TV box and because it communicates over wifi it won't knock the pairing with your Echostar out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Firstly I would like to ask how you can actually speak to these people? Anyone have a contact number please?

The remote control doesn't work! I managed to open a chat box on here (which I cant find anymore) and an agent was able to post out another one which I had delivered today. That one doesn't work either Man Sad It's driving me mad. I have a tv box I can't use. 

And yes I know there is an app that I can use but as I haven't been able to connect to the internet via the tv box I can't connect the app either... 

I am slowely going insane!!!!

Helppppppppppppppp!!!!! lol 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Have you tried rebooting both your nowtv box and Router ?

I am guessing you are using the nowtv black box over WiFi, how close is the Router from the nowtv box, could you run an Ethernet cable to see if you can connect to your home network ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Reading your post again, it sounds like either an issue with your nowtv box or connecting onto your Router WiFi home network and not related to the remote controller IMO.

Perhaps try these troubleshooting suggestion on the linked guide help page below.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Troubleshooting-NOW-TV-Box-and-Roku

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks ever so much for your reply.

I turned off my router and Tv box and my remote control worked for about 6 minutes lol.. But that was long enough to connect the internet so I can use the Roku remote app.

It would be nice to continue to use my remote control though.. Any idea why it stops working?

Many thanks 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Don't know why your nowtv box remote controller only works for about 6 minutes then stops (thats a weird one, guessing you have tried replacing the batteries).

The black nowtv box remote controller infra red field of view is not the best with the IR on the box on the right hand side corner.

If you turn the box at a 45 degree angle so the infra red receiver on the box is facing more towards you to see if that works.

Also, i would try a forced software update on the box by pressing the following keys (either on the Roku app or remote controller) 5 x Home, 3 x >>, 2 x << to see if that helps in anyway.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Other-app-not-working-NOW-TV-Box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

my remote control keeps failing to operate the nowtv box. Yes, I have changed the batteries but if I use the remote inches from the box it works. A remote control means REMOTE not close to the ###### box. This is a #### box and a #### remote. Yes, I have rebooted the box and my Wifi router. It works for about five minutes, then it has a non response from the remote. Why should I have to keep getting out of my armchair to change anything??????? UTTER #### utter ####

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Stephen

You have two choices, with regards to your faulty remote control:

1) You can buy another remote control from the Sky Shop, I believe it costs about £3 or £4.

2) You can download a remote control app (like Romoku) from the Google Play Store, which I use and is free, install the app on your android device and control your Now TV box from there.

UK Bob