cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
ukbobboy
Legend

@4268

4268 (Can I call you something else, like "4") you said "....if the remote is faulty they should be able to get a replacement box with new remote from the retailer."

Now that's what I am talking about, why bother with all that "try and fix it" nonsense when the box is within it's guarantee period.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@4268

4268 (Can I call you something else, like "4") you said "....if the remote is faulty they should be able to get a replacement box with new remote from the retailer."

Now that's what I am talking about, why bother with all that "try and fix it" nonsense when the box is within it's guarantee period.

UK Bob

Another added bonus might be, if you purchased the box from a retailer or shop (excluding the NowTV store) then the new replacement NowTV box provided under the guarantee may have a free pass inside if your lucky. Smiley Happy

I think only the NowTV store sells the box has a separate entity.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My remote does not work I have changed batteries 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

have you tried following these steps in the video below? As the remote may have lost its pairing/failed to pair with the device.

Of course, these steps will only be relevant if you're using a nowTV stick or nowTV smart box gen 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRzpHXgo_w

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The remote doesn't work whatever you try

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Been using the now tv box and had noticed a couple of times that while pressing down on the remote control it would end up jumping twice on the guide.

Does anyone's else do this?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, all three of my black boxes (purchased from different retailers at different times) do it. Tried so many times to explain to NowTv and even included videos of it happening. They offered replacements which would still have the problem, I suspect. I declined and was told i would be contacted by Second Tier Technical Support for more details. They haven't. These little irritations, both box and tech support, threaten to spoil a fantastic way of watching TV.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Have you tried using the Roku remote app for Android & iOS?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep it is a issue with the black boxes and appears to be intermittant. One day it can seem fine and the next it's just a pain in the ass and the box has a mind of its own. As @Anonymous User has stated above, i have too reported this to NowTV multiple times, right back to when the boxes where first released but like many things that get reported you get the 'We can't find the problem' or 'it's your fault/pass the blame' repsonce. All my black boxes suffer the issue.

Strangly enough the reason i was browsing the forum just now is for the last couple of days i have experianced a new bug simular to this one. It seems that when i watch a programme, after it has finished and stopped if i press the 'back' button it is no longer taking me back through the menu by one step but appears to take off in the same manner, so far that it exits the app and returns me to the homescreen. Never had this particular issue before and seems to have come with a recent software update.

@Anonymous User You can get the app on Windows also. I have it on both my windows 10 PC and Windows phone. (Not that i need it, it's just fun to wind the missus up :P)

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Funnily enough, that's exactly what 'Tech Support' said to me first time I
called.

Hmmm..

I've just had another problem with just one of my Now TV boxes. The infra
red receiver is playing up.
I have a feeling that, when I contact support, I will be told I can install
the app to my phone and control it that way.

I have a suspicion that there is a hardware and/or software problem with all
the black Now boxes (Roku 4200SK units).
I have tried adjusting the infrared repeat timings in one of the hidden
configuration screens but the cursor still jumps as if I had pressed a
button twice. I also read that the black boxes have a cheaper (inferior) IR
receiver in them.

Whatever the cause, I do not wish to install the app on my smart phone and
run down the battery when the Now box is primarily designed to use an IR
remote control which, when working correctly, is the perfect tool for the
task at hand.

I'm hoping that the jumping cursor is a software problem that will be fixed
in a future update and my dodgy receiver is a one off hardware problem.
p.s. I'll post back if I can recall how to get to the Infrared Timings
hidden screen. Maybe I missed something. It's possible that you have to
reset the box after adjusting the timings.