cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Unfortunately it's not got it for Christmas 2 years ago.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@ukbobboy
I cant even get onto it to be able to do anything but thanks if I do eventually get the control working I will do this.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you have an android phone download the Roku remote app it works with my now box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

another thing you can try is a factory reset

there is a small hole directly below the power cable socket use a pin or something and hold in for 10 seconds

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have recently received a black box as a gift, and when trying to set the box up, the remote doesn't seem to want to communicate with the box. 

I have:  

- tried new batteries
- reset the box
- turned the power off
- sat right in front of the box... and still nothing. There is a solid white light on the box, which does not flash. 

I'd be grateful for any support. 

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds to me like you've already tried everything possible, it may just be that you have a faulty remote (which isnt uncommon).

Some people have found that by giving the remote a large tap on your knee it sometimes gets it working. You could install the Roku app on your smart phone or tablet (Apple,Android and Windows all have it). The app has a remote control feature which you can use as a replacement.

Other than that, if its possible to return the box to where it was puchased, for a replacement, thats probally your best option.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the tips. I've tried tapping it on my knee, I've also tried Roku, but haven't had any luck with it.

The problem with taking it back to the place of purchase is that it was a gift so I don't have the receipt.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User silly question time. When you did a reset on the box, do you see a set of chattering teeth or bouncing Now logo?

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hmm, if the Roku app is failing to control it also then the problem may be with the box. @4268 has a good point though, you should see those teeth on reset. I automatically assumed you were stuck on the setup screen so never thought to ask that 🙂

When you say you reset the box did you simply unplug it or perform the hard reset method (by putting a pin in the reset hole at the back of the unit)?

Do you know where the box was purchased from? If it was NowTV directly then you may be able to return it as they will have a record of sale but if it was anywhere else then yep sadly you'll likely need to receipt. If you dont get it working, maybe worth asking the person who bought you it if they still have the receipt.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User, @Anonymous User I am wondering hence my reason for asking if the HDMI input selection o. TV has managed to change from the one which has Now connected. I have a HDMI switcher and it likes to switch if a remote is held in wrong place so I know it is possible. If you can't see the teeth the HDMI input is incorrect.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.