cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, yes it just stops working while I'm streaming something. I can watch a programme but once it's been playing for ten minutes or so I can't pause it or watch anything else when it's finished. I have been making do with the Android app but it's not convenient and also I don't like having paid for a brand new device which doesn't work the way it should. Maybe I'll order a new one before sending back the old one for a refund

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hmm, you seem to have quite a uniquly odd problem. If your streaming and the remote stops after 10 mins but the streaming continues until the end of the programme then it doesn't appear to be a frozen box or network problem, also becuase you can still interact with the app when the remote stops too.

Aye the remote apps are great for a temporary remote and testing but it's not very practical for daily use. I find that i have to look at the screen on the phone to hit the correct buttons which means im not looking at the TV, unlike with the real remote where you can feel the buttons and dont need to look at it.

I think your best option is to try a replacement as you said. I'm just confused on how you have had two boxes with the same issue, espeically as it's not a common issue (ive seem remotes issues but none like yours). Lets just hope its a spot of bad luck and your next one works 🙂

By the way, have you tried a hard reset of the box? I thought i saw you say you had but after reading again you said 'restart' which is not the same thing, so my mistake a si would of mentioned that previously. The hard reset will force the box to re-dowload all the software and apps (you'll also have to log back in and setup the wifi again) to ensure all is up to date and not corrupt.

To hard reset check step 2 in this article:

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Troubleshooting-NOW-TV-Box-and-Roku

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you tried turning the box to a bit of angle.

Is there a bright light or sunshine in the room at the time it stops working 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Doesn't make any difference unfortunately 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you get a another replacement (a third box) and if so do you still have the issue?

I did wonder if it could be due to another remote enabled device causing conflicts. It's a very rare thing but it is possible that another remote or device is picking up or interfering with the NowTV boxes remote. I came across this issue once with a DVD player and TV whic appeared to conflict (i guess they used simular remote codes). Basically what was happeneing in this case was the dvd player when in use would pick up on the tv remote signal and actually prevent the tv recieivng it. While the dvd stole the signal it did not actually resond to it. Further more it was only certain buttons on the remote that caused it. Powering down the dvd would allow the tv to regain full access of the remote functions. The TV and DVD were completely different makes too. In the end i had to replace the DVD with a different make to resolve it (since it was the dvd causing the issue not the TV).

It's a long shot and as i said it's rare but since you've had multiple boxes with the same problem (which i havnt seen reported before) it is the only thing i can think of worth trying since you have tried everything else. Try a test and dont use your other remotes while using your NowTV box (not just your tv, but dvd,skybox,hifi etc) and cover up all the other device receivers in the room (use elctrical tape, a piece of carboard or something not transparent) and see if the NowTV remote behaves itself then. If the remote then behaves you can be sure its some foom of conflict with one of the other devices and you could uncover each one by one until the problem re-occurs to determine which is the cause.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have this problem but the remote stops working after 4-5 minutes without fail.

The box and remote have been working fine since September 2015 and this suddenly started in May 2016. As soon as I restart the box it works against for 4-5 minutes then stop.

I have sinceI found the box wasn't freezing but the remote after 4 minutes stops working at any distance other than within 1 to 5 cm distance from the Nowtv box.

Very strange, and I don't know if it is a firmware update introduced bug, the box or the remote.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I suggested a few things on your other post.

Suppose you could try a forced software update by going into the box menu settings.

Another question, each night do you switch the NowTV box off at the power mains or leave the box permanently switched on ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Could you try disabling the screensaver in settings and see if the issue continues. I recently discovered a bug with that which may or may not be related to this.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone got any tips for using the remote control please?! It's lack of sensitivity is driving me insane!! It can either not move when you click it or move way too far, trying to search for anything or indeed just putting in username / password / parental lock number etc is very frustrating. Especially when I compare it with the bluetooth one that an amazon firestick comes with. Any hints or tips on how to get it working better please???

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If it is a black NOW TV box then I have had similar problems with mine. Try turning the box clockwise about 45 degrees as the IR sensor is right on the right-hand corner as you look at it and you want to try and get that corner pointing at you when you use the remote. Try also to position the box so it's got plenty of space around it, eg on a top shelf rather than a middle shelf if possible.

Also  if you have an Android or Apple phone/tablet you could download the official Roku app from the relevant App Store and use that to control your NOW TV box via wifi as a replacement for your remote.