cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If it was me, if you have done another hard factory reset on the box has mentioned in my above post then i would take the box back to the retailer where you purchased the box from and ask you a replacement (assuming the box is less than a year old).

One question the NowTV box is on view and clear sight of your remote controller, the reason i ask somebody else on here hid their box behind their soundbar and didn't realize that the NowTV box worked by infra red (they thought the remote was either Bluetooth or WiFi operated).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had this nowtv box since sept 2015 and since last month the remote suddenly stops working around 4 minutes after the nowtv box is switched on. If I switch the box off, then on again the remote works again for 4 minutes from anywhere (even 15 feet away) and then it stops working again after around 4 mintes. The little white light on the Nowtv box also stops blinking when this happens.

Used new batteries, checked with multimeter and they are full charge.

Anyone had this problem? At first I thought the box was freezing but the time still updates if I go to the info screen before the remote stops working.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

To take the box out of the equation have you got a smart phone or tablet (Android, IOS or Windows) where you can download the free Roku remote controller app from the app store or have you got an older white NowTV box where you can check the black box using the white remote controller ?

Edit - Forget to mention, when you say that you reset the NowTV box was that a reboot by switching the box off at the mains or was it by a hard factory reset ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Reset the box and hard reset with all software downloded again, same behaviour, the remote stops working after 4-5 mins.

I have now found the remote does work but only when placed right next to the box  within 1-5cm distance.

So it works for the first 4-5 mins from any range and then only works if it is basically touching the front of the nowtv box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have now found the remote does work but only when placed right next to the box  within 1-5cm distance.

So it works for the first 4-5 mins from any range and then only works if it is basically touching the front of the nowtv box.

Sounds like the NowTV box IR receiver is playing up.

I don't think this is effecting you (because you said that the box is working fine when pointing the remote 15ft away for the first 4 minutes before it doesn't seem to accept the IR remote controller commands), but some people have turned the box around 45 degrees (due to the IR receiver is located on the RHS corner of the box) to ensure that the remote controller is in direct line of sight of the box.

Maybe if nobody here comes up with a solution / fix perhaps swapping the box under warranty before the September twelve month purchase date expires.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i got this for Christmas and have only opened it now. the remote is kaput. How do I exchange the remote only? The box works, thanks.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I'm sorry to ask a silly question but have you put the batteries in?

Also when you press any buttons, does the white light on the box flash? 

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. And tried brand new ones in case they were dead.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you believe that your remote is not functioning and you have tried all the advice given by the helpful community forum members then read this guide linked below about exchanging faulty items.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Return-my-NOW-TV-Box

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User the remote field is rather limited you have to point it directly at the corner of your box. Box cannot be behind anything or signal won't work. How do you know that the box works if remote is not working?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.