cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If the white flashes on the box every time you press the remote key that would suggest to me that the remote controller is fine.

The NowTV IR receiver on the black box IMO has a poor IR field of view compared to the older white box.

You could try this two suggestions.

Try not holding down the arrow keys on the remote continually, see if pressing the key slowly by a single click each time moves the cursor around your screen.

The IR receiver is located at the right hand corner of the box, just to experiment move the box at a 45 degree angle so the the IR receiver is pointing in a straight line of sight with where you are using the remote from.

If the experiment doesn't work, just in case try a factory reset on the box by pressing a pin in the reset hole on the back of the box for 30 secs.

Should you still have no joy, then it could be a possibility that you have a faulty box which needs replacing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps thanks again.  I am already at a 45 deg angle to the right of the box.  Not working.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

Try not holding down the arrow keys on the remote continually, see if pressing the key slowly by a single click each time moves the cursor around your screen

I know you have to check everything, but feeling pretty insulted right now.  I am not holding the buttons.  I am not trying to scroll.  I am trying to move the damn cursor one place at a time and it will not.  No matter what I try. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry if you think that i am insulting you, just trying to cover all bases.

BTW - I am a NowTV customer like you trying to offer some advice and don't work for NowTV in any way.

Personally i would just get a replacement box and be done with it.

Good Luck (over and out).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps - didn't realise you were just helping out. I appreciate your time. 

@ nowtv - some customer service would be nice!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Must say, as a new now tv customer also, i came across this thread googling 'upgrade now tv remote'! 

It is amazingly crap! Like a remote from 20 years ago! The search option is awful, having to toggle across a alphabet, you press ok, nothing happens, you press it again and end up with the same letter twice. You have to be directly in front, without even a speck of dust between you and the box, or it won't work.

For such a great thing as now tv, please make a better remote, even if only as a upgrade, I'd gladly pay to upgrade mine!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Don't know if you own a smartphone (Android, IOS or Windows) but the Roku remote control app that you can download for free from the apps store works really well on the NowTV box.

It took me a day or so to get use of my phone has a remote control device (being old fashioned and always using old style remote controllers) but the Roku app works a treat, so responsive over wifi and if you tend to use the search feature like me on the NowTV box typing in movie names or TV shows is a breeze.

I know it doesn't answer your post, but it's worth considering imo.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

It could be that your NOW TV product is faulty. Sadly things like this do happen from time to time!

In which case I suggest you return it to your original place of purchase and ask for a replacement!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Have similar issue with my Now tv box As they are so cheap if you take away value of included pass I thought it was easier to order another..I have just tried app and that does indeed continue to work after remote freezes  so a great fix for time being.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have now tried plugging in an ethernet cable temporarily instead.  Can't even connect to a wired network because the follwing happens:

Language selection: [ENGLISH] is highlighted.  I press "OK".  After 3 second wait the screen changes.

[Let's get started] is highlighted.  I press "OK" (IR light flashes).  After 10 second wait, I give up and hit "OK" again.  2 seconds later the screen changes.

Connect to the internet: [Wireless (Wi-Fi)] is highlighted.  I hit [down arrow].  The menu just continually scrolls from Wired to Wireless options and never stops!!!

WTF is going on??  This is the worst piece of tech I have ever wasted my money on!