cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote on black box playing up

I've had my now tv box just over 2 months and yesterday the remote started acting like the buttons are stuck down. I can't select anything. It's definately the remote because I can use my other now tv remote and everything works fine. Any ideas?
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing continued issues with your IR.

Would you be able to tell us a little more about the new issue you've been experiencing?

We appreciate all feedback and this may be something we look into in future updates but there is nothing set at present.

Thanks,

Rob

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

When a message pops up or when I enter my PIN the remote control loses sensitivity and I have to hold it right next to the box for it to work. If I power-off and power-on again everything returns to normal. I have changed the batteries several times so I know it is not a battery problem. I have the latest software update.

Any advice gratefully received - but it looks like it's destined to be returned to the shop 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

It sounds like you have done everything that we would suggest, It does sound like it could be a faulty NOW TV Box or Remote.

If you did buy the box from a retailer then it might be worthwhile returning it to them for a replacement.

Thanks

Andy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi C

If you have an Android tablet or phone you can download a Now TV remote control app, like the Romoku which I use, to control your box. In fact, there are over half-a-dozen free apps available that you could use instead of your current failing remote.

However, if you do not want to use an app as a replacement remote, you could buy a replacement remote control from Sky Store, that will probably cost you about £4.00.

But if your Now TV box  is faulty and it's still within the guarantee period then, as @Anonymous User suggested, exchange it because anything else would just be a waste of time. 

UK Bob

PS. Below are the first six remote control apps I found in the Google app store, including the Romoku, which I use with my own white box.

Now TV Remote Apps.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I sent my first box back because the remote always stopped working within half an hour of the box starting up. I got a replacement and the exact same thing happens. Is it worth me sending it back again or do they all have this fault?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

No , this isn't a common problem.  It could be that the box itself is faulty.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks yes I think the remote control works fine as restarting the box gets it working again but only for 10-15 minutes, and it has been exactly the same with a new box and remote control. I just don't want to keep sending stuff back and getting replacements with the exact same fault

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I know this doesn't resolve your problem with the IR failure with your NowTV box /remote controller, but i find the NowTV black box less responsive over IR compared to the older white NowTV box.

Therefore, what i have done to overcome this IR issue is to use the free Roku remote control app on my smart phone, which works like a dream.

Something to consider if you have an Android or IOS smart phone/tablet and you don't want the hassle of keeping sending back the boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps You can also get the Roku app on Windows store (PC,Tablet and Phone).

@Anonymous User When the remote stops working, does it completely stop? By that i mean the only way to get it working again is by restarting the box? When the remote stops working is in when the box is idle or is it during streaming? I'm just trying to figure out the exact cause and wonder if the box and remote is not the issue as it seems odd that the replacment does the exact same thing. I have know boxes to freeze up when they is a issue with network/connection not configured correctly so the issue maybe related to that/your router since it has happened on both boxes.

If you can, the next time it stops working try the Roku app as suggested by @schnapps. If that does not work it likely means the box has frozen so may indicate a network issue. If the app does work it would suggest either the remote or the box is in fact faulty.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Raevelyn wrote:

@schnapps You can also get the Roku app on Windows store (PC,Tablet and Phone).

@Anonymous User

Thanks about the heads up of the Roku remote app on the Windows store (good info to know).Smiley Happy