cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sb64
Scholar 2

Remote Over WiFi Using iphone

Hi have tryed to use the now tv to control my now tv box but can only use the roku app on my wifi connection.

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

@sb64 

Do you mean that your remote has stopped working altogether, or only controls your TV?

If so, it may simply need new batteries.

But if this is not it, then with the NowTV Stick powered on and good batteries in the remote, take the battery compartment cover off the remote, find a small black button, and hold it in for 15 seconds.

See if this makes it work again.

After this, you may need to re-pair it with your TV, as in the Stick setup instructions, on paper or in the NowTV Help.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
sb64
Scholar 2

No my remote works fine and there is no button on my remote i am trying to control my box with my phone.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sorry @sb64 , but you’re going to explain your problem in more detail. As I read your post, your remote works but has no button(s). Which makes no sense. Perhaps you could post a photo of this remote.

RoyB
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb @sb64 

Mark, I told him about the reset button for the remote that is under the battery compartment lid. Maybe this is a Mark 1 remote without it, or a Mark 2 where the button is pretty unobtrusive, and @sb64 can’t see it?

But it doesn’t matter, because the remote is OK.

So what I now think the problem is, is that @sb64  is looking for a NowTV app that acts as a remote for the box.

But you won’t find one, @sb64, because NowTV don’t do an official one, and the unofficial third party one hasn’t been updated since 2019 and costs 99p.

But the Roku one is free, official, and up to date.

And Roku make the NowTV devices anyway. So why look for anything else?

(@sb64 if this still isn’t it, would you like a third go at explaining your problem? Remember, we have to rely utterly on what you describe to us, so take a deep breath, and explain slowly, carefully, and completely what your difficulty here is).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB @Mark_Weinreb 

Reading between the lines i believe @sb64 means using the iPhone NowTV App has a remote with the NowTV box (might be wrong).

Where a few people on the forum have reported that the remote feature or casting icon doesn't now seem to work between their iPhone and NowTV box.

I am more old school and prefer a good old fashioned infra red remote controller that comes supplied with your device, rather than using a smartphone.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/using-your-iphone-to-cast-to-your-tv 

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps @Mark_Weinreb @sb64 

Reading on the lines, I don’t have that interpretation, but you may be right 😛

Do we suppose that casting from iPhones has the same malaise as Chromecasting at the moment? 😢

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

I don't own an iPhone, but if it was me i would be inclined to try a fresh NowTV App on @sb64 iPhone if my reading between the lines is correct.

A couple of people on the forum that reported an issue between the NowTV App on their iPhone and casting with their NowTV box or using the remote function on the NowTV App didn't come back either way to say it was fixed or still on going.

Though the first reports of an issue was a few weeks back (well before the current Chromecast problems members are currently encountering so i doubt they are related).

More of a conflict between the NowTV App and maybe an IOS update has a guess ?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB @schnapps @sb64 I found an FAQ that says you can cast from an iPhone to a Now TV box/stick, and shows a distinct cast button on the screen as well as the chromecast button. However, no such button exists. It must have existed at some point in the past, hence the FAQ, but the current app running on both ios13 (current) and ios14 (next) don’t have it. So it looks like this facility has been discontinued since the FAQ was published.

sb64
Scholar 2

here is a quick update,i have now stopped using now tv devices and now use my LG tv and use my iphone out and about.