cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Constantly dropping picture quality

I currently have Now tv running in 3 rooms of the house. Two upstairs and one downstairs in the living room. The one's upstirs on eis through aPS4 and the other through a Nowtv box. The one downstairs is also through a Nowtv box.

The ones upstairs run fine and have clear pictures.  The one downstairs has poor quality. Whilst on the entertainment and movie channels the quality varies from clear to poor. On the sports channels it is poor quality all the time. It's like o

watching off the the streaming sites through the internet.

There is no connection on the back of my box to connect it straight to my router.

Thanks for any help.

Colin.

18 REPLIES 18
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sounds to me that you have the older white NowTV box where it is struggling with picking up a good WiFI signal from your upstairs Router and like you said there is no option to run an Ethernet cable from the white NowTV box.

You could try a couple of simple things first, like switching off both your Router and white box and then reboot the Router first (let it go through it's start up procedure) then switch back on the white box.

If that doesn't work maybe try a hard factory reset on the white box, if there is no improvement with your WiFI reception on the white box, maybe try a different WiFi channel on your Router.

Should you have a old Router spare you could try using the spare Router as a possible WiFi extender for the white box downstairs.

Personally, if it was me i would look at the newer NowTV black box with the bundled entertainment or cinema pass which Currys are selling off cheap at the moment for £15 (be quick mind this price and the duration of the pass will not be available for long). 

Where the advantage of the new black box is that it has a faster processor with more inbuilt random memory which will deal better with more power hungry apps, together it can operate on dual band WiFi and comes with a Ethernet port on the back of the box.

Should the NowTV black box still struggle with the WiFi in your home environment then either look at relocating your Router to a more central location in your property or wire the downstairs new black box with an Ethernet connection either directly into your Router or by means of Ethernet Power Home Plug adaptors. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Should have added on my above post, that if you decide to purchase a new black box and are still struggling with the WiFI signal and your Router supports dual band then try the 5Ghz WiFi band to see if the reception WiFi improves on the downstairs room of your property.

Ideally if practically possible go down the Ethernet route which will always give a more stable streaming experience than WiFi. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The position of the box can also have a big effect. Make sure the box is in an open space, not tucked behind or under the TV, or on a crowded shelf. Sometimes moving the box from one side of the TV to another may help, or a different place one room, cables permitting. Before messing around with settings try also swapping the boxes around just in case the downstairs one has a slightly dodgy wifi antenna during the manufacture process.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I swapped boxes with the one upstairs works fine now. I did buy a new black box as well but for some reason it wont connect to the internet either wirelessly or wired. The box see's my internet but will not connect to it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

When was you trying to setup your new NowTV black box it wasn't between 13.00 to 21.00 hrs today by any chance?

Also, was there any message coming up on your TV screen and what is the make & model of your Router ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
No! It was a week or two ago.Just kept saying cannot connect to the internet or something along those lines.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

It's strange that one of your nowtv boxes works on your home network, whilst the newer nowtv black box doesn't want to connect to the internet either by WiFi or Ethernet.

I am guessing you have tried a full factory reset on the black box by pressing a pin into the reset hole for about 30 secs until the initial setup page reappears back on your screen ?

Another long shot try leaving your Router switched off for about 15 mins and i know this doesn't make sense, but perhaps try a different HDMI port on your TV.

Out of interest can you also confirm back your Router make and model.

Hopefully more helpful forum members will chip in with some useful suggestions to try, before taking the box back for a replacement under warranty.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers for that. I did put a pin in the reset hole but not for 30 secs. Will try doing that again. 

Thanks.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Make sure that your TV screen Is switched on to the correct HDMI input source when factory reseting the box and hopefully the initial setup page will reappear on your TV screen after pushing and holding a pin in the box reset hole which may take up to 30 seconds.