cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Question about remotes

I own a Now TV box (not a smart box) but have lost the remote. I want to replace the remote but the corresponding remote is no longer being sold. If I buy the Now TV smart remote, will it work with the original Now TV box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With the newer smart remote you will need a stick or 4K smart box to initially setup the smart remote on your home wifi network before you can use with the nowtv standard black box.

Looking on the Sky Accessories Shop site, they are still selling the standard remote for £4 which will work with the white, black and Freeview smart box.

Also maybe consider If you own a smartphone the Roku Remote App which you can download for free on your phones App Store.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With the newer smart remote you will need a stick or 4K smart box to initially setup the smart remote on your home wifi network before you can use with the nowtv standard black box.

Looking on the Sky Accessories Shop site, they are still selling the standard remote for £4 which will work with the white, black and Freeview smart box.

Also maybe consider If you own a smartphone the Roku Remote App which you can download for free on your phones App Store.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought the NowTV Smart Box with 4K and Voice Control last December but for some reason the remote is no longer working (unpaired itself) and despite changing the batteries it hasn’t helped. I’m currently using the roku app on my phone to control the box which works perfectly fine but I’m wondering if I need to replace the remote itself. If so would it be the £8 smart stick wifi remote on the Sky website? 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The NowTV stick smart remote is the same has the smart remote controller used on the NowTV 4K.smart box.

If you purchased the 4K smart box last December then get in touch with the Retailer that you bought the box from and ask for a replacement under the 12 month warranty period.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I own a Now TV box (not a smart box) but have lost the remote. I want to replace the remote but the corresponding remote is no longer being sold. If I buy the Now TV smart remote, will it work with the original Now TV box?

I don't think so. The old boxes white and black use infa red remotes, whereas the newer boxes have a hybrid radio/infa red where the infa red part just controls volume on TV. I can't check this as all my devices are the new sticks nowadays. As an aside the new remotes can also be used with Roku sticks which was handy when my roku remote stopped working.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think so. The old boxes white and black use infa red remotes, whereas the newer boxes have a hybrid radio/infa red where the infa red part just controls volume on TV. I can't check this as all my devices are the new sticks nowadays. As an aside the new remotes can also be used with Roku sticks which was handy when my roku remote stopped working.

chai
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

Remote is still available here: https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/now-tv/all

If you own the ancient white Now TV box, I would definately recommend that you upgrade your device. While the TV on/off, volume controls on the Now TV Stick/4k Smart box remotes are nice to have. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In case anyone finds this page via search

The new remotes supplied with the smart stick and 4k smart box will both control the older black or white boxes as they still have the infra red senders.