cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Purpose Of Green And Amber Lights At Rear Of Black Box?

I connnect to the black box by Ethernet, I previously had the white box via wireless.

With the black box i notice in standby mode the green light is always on and the amber light flashes every three seconds !

Is this normal behaviour ?  I am also concerned about the electric consumption . The documents that came with the box do not indicate the power consumption of the unit although I have read elsewhere that whilst streaming it uses about 3.5 watts but what about standby  mode ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ethernet sockets on most devices have indicator lights to give a visual way of checking that it's working and traffic is flowing.

I know that some people find all kinds (and colours) of indicator lights annoying, so I always advise customers, friends and family who find this annoying to cover them over with a small piece of insulating tape.

Other obscuring methods are also available as suggested by others in this thread.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mark_suff
Expert

Hi Michael,

The amber light on the back of your box flashes to indicate your box is communicating with your router via the ethernet connection,when the box is on the lights indicate data transfer between your router and the box, this is perfectly normal and shows your box is working correctly. As for power consumption it will be minimal when on standby, I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you better.

Mark.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for replying to my question.  I can put up with the 3 second amber light flashing  in standby but why is the green light on and steady even in standby mode ?

I believe in the distant past I had a computer Ethernet PCI card that worked similar to the above and I threw that out . I think I'm going back and using the wireless option.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I believe in the distant past I had a computer Ethernet PCI card that worked similar to the above and I threw that out . I think I'm going back and using the wireless option.

How about getting your black marker pen out. Or, if you have access to it, nail varnish!

Sufficed to say, a wired ethernet connection is much more reliable than a wireless ethernet connection...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I used the white box via wireless for 6 to 9 months since my subscription started , no connectivity probs, no stalling and no green and amber lights !

Ethernet sockets on most devices have indicator lights to give a visual way of checking that it's working and traffic is flowing.

I know that some people find all kinds (and colours) of indicator lights annoying, so I always advise customers, friends and family who find this annoying to cover them over with a small piece of insulating tape.

Other obscuring methods are also available as suggested by others in this thread.