cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Purchased box for friend who can't use it

I already have a Now TV box for myself and purchased another in an offer for a friend who didn't want the entertainment pass (which I sold on Ebay with code) The friend has tried to use the box but says it is asking for details (I think bank account etc) As he is special needs and has carers they do not want to sign up for anything. Can he not just plug in the box to their router and use to stream the free apps like Youtube which is all he wants it for really ?

5 REPLIES 5
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. No, unfortunately you need to enter an active NOW TV username and password to set up the box. One way around this if you are near to him is to set up the box for him by entering your username and password, and then go into the NOW TV app on the box and sign out from the My Account screen. This way he can use the box but not watch NOW TV (and potentially purchase passes on your box by mistake). However anytime the box needs resetting you would have to go around and do the same again.

As an added precaution if you do this I'd recommend adding a Payment PIN to your account from your My Account > Payment PIN page.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry Andy I don't quite understand. Are you saying I have to be phiscally there or can this be done remotley over the phone ? I would have thought they could set up a password and username from their pc ?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User You could talk someone through it over the phone, I just mentioned you going over there physically as you might not want to give someone your account details to log in themselves, but if they are trusted friends and you are happy to do so not a problem. Like I say it's basically just a case of entering your username and password during the setup process on the box, and then going into the NOW TV app and signing out afterwards.

Alternately as you mention they could set up their own username and password themselves, which would ideally be the best solution, but they would need to enter a valid payment card details to do so.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok Andy that's great. I don't mind sharing my account with my brother for this. I only use it myself for viewing Youtube. I will set it up when I call over the weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Ah if it's your brother not a problem. You can even leave the NOW TV app signed in if you want and then he can watch any passes you have on there, as long as you have a spare device slot free in your account (you can watch NOW TV on up to four devices on your account and no more than 2 at the same time).

Like I say tho good idea to set your payment PIN as it is quite easy for someone to accidentally purchase new passes on the box by mistake.

https://account.nowtv.com/payment-pin

Hope it all goes well.