cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Power Consumption Of Black Box Vs White Box ?

Ok firstly I'm not a technical person. I own both white and black boxes. The black power adapter has higher figures on it than the white so I assume it uses more power.

With the white box I have to use the wireless of my router although before purchase I only used ethernet on my computer etc.

I would like to use the Ethernet option of the black box and turn  the router wireless, off do you think I would save money?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I would like to use the Ethernet option of the black box and turn  the router wireless, off do you think I would save money?

I doubt you would.   There are so many variables at play here (e.g. the router may use the same amount of energy regardless, and may need more to send the signal down a wire) and the amount you could potentially save as a proportion of the bill would be miniscule.   It's like aiming to save by turning the TV volume down a bit  or reducing the brightness, neither of which really work because the energy is often just dispersed through resistance. 

Best way of saving significantly is  switching electricity suppliers.  Or not watching TV at all.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Difficult to give anything other than a very rough estimate as it will obviously depend on router specs, usage, environmental issues etc but an 'average' wireless router uses around £20-25 electricity a year, and turning wifi off would save up to around 30% energy, so over a year you're probably looking at saving £6 or so in electricity.

Hope that helps you with your decision.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I doubt you would.   There are so many variables at play here (e.g. the router may use the same amount of energy regardless, and may need more to send the signal down a wire) and the amount you could potentially save as a proportion of the bill would be miniscule.   It's like aiming to save by turning the TV volume down a bit  or reducing the brightness, neither of which really work because the energy is often just dispersed through resistance. 

Best way of saving significantly is  switching electricity suppliers.  Or not watching TV at all.