cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor picture quality

I've installed a Now TV box today into a wired network and notice that channels played through the Now TV app have a much worse picture quality than the iPlayer or ITV hub apps on the box.

Also, the only Live TV I can watch is Sky1, I get an error -105 on all the others

Apart from Sky's servers not up to the job, anyone any idea why? 

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did a hard reset an hour ago to try to solve another issue.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hello again @Anonymous User?

Can you please provide the following information: -

• What's the make and model number of the device(s) you're using to access and play NOW TV content?
    [ie: a NOW TV 'black' box, a NOW TV 'white' box or a NOW TV 'Smart' box. Or a 'Games Console' of some type, a 'Set Top Box' of some type, a 'Smartphone' of some type, a 'Tablet' of some type, a 'Windows PC', a 'Mac' computer or another type of device]
  • What's your NOW TV playback devices 'software' version and NOW TV 'app' version?
  • How is your NOW TV playback device connected to the internet. Is it via a hard-wired or wireless (WiFi) ethernet connection?
  • Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
  • Are you running any form of VPN (Virtual Private Network)?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a Now TV Black box, 4200SK Roku 3

Software version 7.0 build 9612

Wired to AP

ZEN Internet

No VPN

As said, it's much better now so I'm not going to waste much more time on it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

A soft reset is a daily occurrence for me, I've found it works sometimes for a whole film but more often than not 5-15 mins before it loses picture quality and becomes unwatchable. I've also done a hard reset at least 10 times. I agree with some of the other comments in that it is not down to line speed as I have as fast as you can get so  it does seem to be down to the inadequacy of the servers which is not really acceptable given other service providers seem to manage fine as other posters have noted. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Although I have no objective evidence, I believe the pixelation and 103 error problems occur during times of heavy NowTV usage and their servers strain to service demand.  I say this because when I watch NowTV in the wee hours (a few hours before dawn) I do not get any problems.

I would tend to agree, it does seem to be varable, dependant on time of day and program.

The picture quality does seem better compared from when I first raised the issue but I still think NOW TV is generally worse the iPlaby, ITV etc.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought a Roku black box for our Now TV. It was fine for six months and then suddenly on Sky Sports or any Sky live channel the picture deteriorated to the extent that it is no longer possible to watch these channels. BBC and all other channels are fine. I complained to Now TV but could not resolve the problem and finally told me to buy a Now Stick, will this solve the problem or will it just be the same? I would appreciate it should anybody have experienced the same problems?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had 24 hours with NowTv and am really disappointed. The picture quality varies from average to heavily pixelated. I am running nothing else via the wifi other than NowTV and yet it doesn't seem to be able to maintain a consistent picture at all. 

Can someone from NowTV explain why this is happening - bearing in mind that I have never had problems streaming through other services? Suggesting that I turn it off and on whilst watching a programme or film is not going to be good enough - what other solutions do you have (again - zero issue with Amazon or Netflix). 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have had 24 hours with NowTv and am really disappointed. The picture quality varies from average to heavily pixelated. I am running nothing else via the wifi other than NowTV and yet it doesn't seem to be able to maintain a consistent picture at all. 

Can someone from NowTV explain why this is happening - bearing in mind that I have never had problems streaming through other services? Suggesting that I turn it off and on whilst watching a programme or film is not going to be good enough - what other solutions do you have (again - zero issue with Amazon or Netflix). 

Hello and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User

Who is your ISP? If your ISP is BT. There is often a feature called smart setup on BT hubs which can interfere with NowTV cause problems such as this. Disabling smart setup may help.

It can also sometimes be helpful to disable network things on the NowTV box. Doing so can sometimes help stabilise picture quality. For help on disabling network pings. See the link below

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Error-014-NOW-TV-box

If you want to contact now TV. I live chat. You can do so by using the contact us button on the help article I have given you a link to

I hope this helps you outSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.