cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor picture quality

I've installed a Now TV box today into a wired network and notice that channels played through the Now TV app have a much worse picture quality than the iPlayer or ITV hub apps on the box.

Also, the only Live TV I can watch is Sky1, I get an error -105 on all the others

Apart from Sky's servers not up to the job, anyone any idea why? 

27 REPLIES 27
Graham-S
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am getting Error Code -105 when I try to watch live TV on all channels except Sky 1. (which plays).

Anyone know what this code means?

Good day Lif!

Sorry for the late reply. I've been searching all morning for a resolve to this issue and I'll continue to look. What device is this happening on?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A Now TV Black box, software version 3.8.71

I've just done a factory reset and all live channels worked for a few minutes, now it's back to only Sky 1 working on live TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry for the late reply can you tell us if this is still an issue for you? Also have you tried to force a software update? if not and the issue is still happening please try the below

Press

Home x5

Fast Forward x3

Rewind x2  and force a update it may download the same one again however if  there is an issue with the one installed this may fix it.

We have also raised this to our tech teams

Thanks

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply,

I've just forced an update and still have the same problem, Sky1 works but not the other live channels

Regards

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting back to us. It appears the issue is with your IP address which seems to be showing outside of the UK can you tell us who your Broadband provider is and if you recently took your devices outside of the UK to use which may have Geo Locked your content? if not you may be best to contact your Broadband provider and make them aware that your IP address is showing outside of the UK and this needed to be registered as a UK IP address.

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

im experiencing the same extremely poor picture quality. I've had the box over a year and upgraded from the white 'roku' box to the black box last year. I've also persuaded 5 other people to buy this product on the strength of my recommendation as the picture quality was extremely good previously. However in the last month it's become almost unwatchable, it's appalling, it starts fine, then in a few seconds it will buffer and then when it restarts it's extremely pixelated. BBC, itv etc are all fine, just sky/now. My box and all my friends are hard wired rather than wifi , all with extremely fast connections. Looking at other posts this seems to be a common problem..

have orderd a fire stick now, if that's fine I'll drop the sky box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I only bought the NOW TV box for Sky Arts and a couple of other channels so I can drop my (ever increasing) Sky subscription and go with FreeSat.

Can you get Sky Arts etc on an Amazon FireStick?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @SeeMoreDigital

Hi C

If you've read through this thread, especially between SMD and Lif, you will see that there is more going on than just line speed, direct Internet connection and this pixelation problem.

My Internet set-up is nothing special yet I get excellent picture quality, via my NowTV black box, the majority of times. However, on some programmes, especially "Bull", I can get some severe pixelation problems that last up to  five minutes during an episode.

Although I have no objective evidence, I believe the pixelation and 103 error problems occur during times of heavy NowTV usage and their servers strain to service demand.  I say this because when I watch NowTV in the wee hours (a few hours before dawn) I do not get any problems.

I also do not get any problems if I watch a film that's not so hot. i.e. not so popular.

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

When was the last time your box went through a reset? It is healthy to reset smart devices occasionally you would be surprised at the amount of people that hardly ever reset their playback devices.

I would try a soft reset first 

Settings > system > system restart

I have found in the past on NowTV/Roku hardware that if the NowTV app is updated in the background and the box is not restarted afterwards. Picture quality can be affected. A soft reset usually resolves this

If a soft reset doesn't work then you may have to do a hard/factory reset

Settings > system > advanced system settings > factory reset

This may not be of help, but I hope it isSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

When was the last time your box went through a reset? It is healthy to reset smart devices occasionally you would be surprised at the amount of people that hardly ever reset their playback devices.

I would try a soft reset first 

Settings > system > system restart

I have found in the past on NowTV/Roku hardware that if the NowTV app is updated in the background and the box is not restarted afterwards. Picture quality can be affected. A soft reset usually resolves this

If a soft reset doesn't work then you may have to do a hard/factory reset

Settings > system > advanced system settings > factory reset

This may not be of help, but I hope it isSmiley Happy

sorry @Anonymous User I meant to tag @Anonymous User 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.