cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor picture quality

I've installed a Now TV box today into a wired network and notice that channels played through the Now TV app have a much worse picture quality than the iPlayer or ITV hub apps on the box.

Also, the only Live TV I can watch is Sky1, I get an error -105 on all the others

Apart from Sky's servers not up to the job, anyone any idea why? 

27 REPLIES 27
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Apart from Sky's servers not up to the job, anyone any idea why? 

I disagree. Depending on the source content, I'm seeing really good looking images on my 65" 4K display...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I changed the supplied HDMI cable for a higher quality one which has made a noticable improvement but there is still a visable difference between NOW TV and the other catch-up providers.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Are you seeing digital interference such as in any of these examples? If so, do you have a WiFi router (or any other transmitting device) close by your 'black' box and/or HDMI leads?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's not interference, if it were, I would expect to see it on all programs, it's just that any Sky content on NOW TV is noticably worse quality than content on iPlayer, More4 etc.

While not quite broadcast quality HD, iPlayer, More4 etc is very good, which with my 2.5Mb internet connection is acceptable.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Apart from reducing digital signal errors a new HDMI cable would not improve the overall image quality. Digital images don't work this way as they're just a bunch of 'ones' and 'zeros' that have to be assembled in the correct way. You can't make a one or a zero any better than it already is!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Apart from reducing digital signal errors a new HDMI cable would not improve the overall image quality. Digital images don't work this way as they're just a bunch of 'ones' and 'zeros' that have to be assembled in the correct way. You can't make a one or a zero any better than it already is!

But it would reduce the number of dropped or interfered with bits which would result in pixelation.

I can only assume that either;

The source material isn't a high quality as the BBC's etc.

Now TV's quality/line speed algorithms  aren't as good as the BBC's 

Now TV's servers are not good as the BBC's

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I can only assume that either;

The source material isn't a high quality as the BBC's etc.

Now TV's quality/line speed algorithms  aren't as good as the BBC's 

Now TV's servers are not good as the BBC's

As I mentioned earlier, I'm seeing really good looking images on my 65" 4K display. And that's for both 'on-demand' and 'live' streamed NOW TV content!

All my NOW TV playback devices are 'hard-wired' to the internet. As are all my other media playback devices...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I guess it's a case of 'your mileage might vary'

My Now TV box is hard wired, whereas my Sony TV has a wi-fi connection to the same access point and images from NetFlix on the TV are better quality than anything from the Now TV box.

Given my line speed, the quality is acceptable but feel that the quality/design/components of the Now TV box isn't as good as the Sony TV but then what do I expect for (effectively) nothing 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am getting Error Code -105 when I try to watch live TV on all channels except Sky 1. (which plays).

Anyone know what this code means?