cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Picture Quality

I am using the NOWtv small black box.

Compared to my smart tv with its built in apps I find the picture quality from the box not quite as sharp on apps like iplayer or Netflix etc.

The picture isn't bad but there is a definite difference.

I was wondering if the NOWtv stick provides better quality than the box or is the Roku stick any better.

Probably just being fussy but would invest in a stick if there would be an improvement,

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought the NowTV Smart Stick and a few days later, the Smart Box.

On my HD TV (1080p not 4K, 42") with a very good internet signal, I found the box is consistently a bit lower picture quality than the stick.

Was surprised as I bought the box thinking it would be slightly better than the stick.

For me, the stick programmes are 'comfortable' to watch from all the main catch-up services. The lesser quality ones can look a bit rough but not so much that I think about it while watching.

Using the box, those same shows looked so rough I couldn't watch them. They were below my personal level of 'acceptable', whereas the stick was just above it.

The box is much much faster to download eg. all the apps during set-up, and the stick can sometimes be a bit slow when displaying a new page, but nothing annoying.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.

I've since tried out a Chromecast and find the picture quality much sharper than the box also.

There really is nothing 'wrong' with the picture quality on the box but once you've tried alternatives, there is a definite difference.

Thanks again.

RoyB
Legend

Do be aware that NowTV is only 720p, though - so expect ‘HD ready’ rather than 1080p ‘Full HD’.

I don’t notice this on any of our 32in sets, even though they are capable of Full HD, but 720p does make the upscaling on our 55in 4K Samsung, even from the native NowTV app on the TV, have to work a bit harder, and this you can often notice.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.