cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Parental pin.

Why am I being asked for an parental pin when it’s never been set up and is not even enabled. Can’t watch anything live but I can watch catch up. Any ideas on how to fix. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NowTV have introduced a mandatory parental pin for live movies.

More info here.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin

You need to set a parental pin (i use 1111 the minimum number of presses of buttons on my nowtv remote).

Once you setup the pin, then switch it off where you don't then need to use a pin for on demand movies, but will be prompted for your pin number every time you watch any live Sky Cinema channels (apart from Sky Disney).

Unfortunately there is no way to switch off or disable the parental pin whilst either watching or channel hopping the live movie channels.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NowTV have introduced a mandatory parental pin for live movies.

More info here.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin

You need to set a parental pin (i use 1111 the minimum number of presses of buttons on my nowtv remote).

Once you setup the pin, then switch it off where you don't then need to use a pin for on demand movies, but will be prompted for your pin number every time you watch any live Sky Cinema channels (apart from Sky Disney).

Unfortunately there is no way to switch off or disable the parental pin whilst either watching or channel hopping the live movie channels.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What  load that is there must be away to stop it it is so annoyeing every time you change movie channels I didn't even get a chance it just came on one day 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What is the point of Parental PIN only on live movies including Disney for instance, while no mandatory Parental PIN at on demand Horror movies or live Entertaiment??

I have cancelled movies because of that annoying idea. I really do not understand , perhaps they have no proper technical solution.

Kind Regards

Steve

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is the most stupid change NowTV could have made.

Every time I want to just want to change the channel I have to fiddle through a pin. It is absolutely ridiculous. 

There are only adults in our house. This never happened any other year.

Change it back or provide an option to turn it off. Otherwise I will cancel my subscription and that will be the last thing I ever have to do with NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The more and more i read on this forum about crazy changes and no CS, the more Netflix and Amazon are getting new custom..

Shame NOWTV used to be so good.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Those suppliers don’t have live movie channels, which is what the OFCOM (not NowTV!) PIN requirement is required on.

But anybody else offering streamed live movie channels has to have implemented this also.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this is absolutely laughable, to develop a feature which is only applicable to a subset of your customer base but make it mandatory for every customer. The feature needs to be redeveloped, why should I enter a parental pin when I have no children and I'm not a parent.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Read this:-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/section-one-protecting-under-eighteens

The relevant paragraphs for Sky/NowTV live movie broadcasting start just after 1.21

If you can propose a scheme to OFCOM that is acceptable to them to overcome this issue, and which they will agree to, and will, adopt universally, thus freeing Sky/NowTV from their obligations to conform, you will be doing us all a favour.

Or you could ask Sky/NowTV to adopt the watershed rules, which is another way of avoiding the PIN, and why the Disney Live channel is exempt from the requirement.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What a ridiculous idea to have a parental pin, what's more annoying there is no option to even set up or reset the pin in my account / my TV options.  Remove the parental pin option or I am jumping ship very quickly! The app also resets or fails to remember the paused part of the movie so it wont be a great loss moving back to Netflix and Disney+.