cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

On / off

Now TV black box remote control: no instructions were supplied as to what each of the buttons do.   Can I access these? 

I have recently been charged for excess streaming throughout the night and wonder if this is happening because my black box might not have been off.

Is there an on off switch on the remote? 

How can I tell whether it is on or not? 

At the top right is an arrow pointing to the left, there also is a star, a button marked Now TV and one saying Sky store.

what are all these?

8 REPLIES 8
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

The NOW TV boxes do not offer an 'off/on' switch. Essentially, if you don't want to access the NOW TV service (or any other service) you have to log out of the app and return to the 'Home' page. Or shut down the powe to the NOW TV box.

The 'Sky Store' is a separate Sky branded service which offers movies and TV shows to rent/buy...

Cheers

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. On the remote the arrow pointing to the left is the 'back' button to take you back to the previous screen/place. Star button is the 'options' button - it doesn't always do anything but when you are in NOW TV watching something it will bring up the info bar or turn on/off subtitles if they are available. You also use it if you want to remove an app from your box. The Now TV button is a shortcut to open the NOW TV app, and the Sky Store button opens up the Sky Store app. 

Whenever youve finished using the box get in the habit of pressing the Home button (top right) which will return it to the homescreen and make sure your box isn't still streaming anything. Then it's safe to leave it. After a couple of minutes it drops into screensaver mode and you'll see the little light on the front of the box go out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I pressed the home button  and I have put the screensaver down to 1 minute. 

Does this mean nowtv is not using bandwidth?

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Mick

You know, no matter what controls or features you initiate the box will always use some bandwidth because it checks daily for updates.  The only way to stop the box from using the Internet, and so not use any bandwidth, no matter how small, is to unplug it from your electricity supply/socket.  That way you will stop all Internet activity and so can only use the box when you plug it back into your wall socket. 

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

There is no on/ off button on the remote and the only way to switch off the box rather than go into low power hibernation mode is to switch the box off at your mains electrical outlet.

The left arrow button (top left hand key on the remote) is just a back button which takes you back one step or page on the screen.

The star button has mainly two function for either subtitles where applicable and if you see the star symbol on screen it gives you access to limited options such has adding, deleting and moving Apps around the screen.

The Sky Store button is where you can rent or buy movies / TV shows at an extra cost which is part of the Sky Service where you can sign up for, which is separate to your Now TV subscription passes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. My main concern was not energy used but the possibility of streaming continuing when not required (since I start paying heavily once my allowance limit has been reached. This has happened on occasion when I wasn't aware that I was actually downloading. This could have resulted from its use by children not disconnecting. However, you appear to say that once back at the Hone screen where unopened apps are shown, one then knows that streaming has stopped. 

Many thanks. Hopefully my future charges for excess streaming will cease!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I have istructions for the use of the buttons on the remote for NOW box

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There aren't any instructions for the remote as such, although it's fairly straightforward what each button does. Have a look at the following diagram, and combined with the info in the other posts on this page you should be able to sort things out.

image.jpeg

PS if you also need help setting up your box, see this help page

https://help.nowtv.com/article/set-up-your-now-tv-box