cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv broadband router - anyway to reduce power?

I've noticed that the router uses about 8 watts when doing nothing - ie just connected to a laptop. I have a good connection and it's only a couple of feet away. Is there anyway of reducing range and/or power used to run the router? I have previously left it on permanently and the cost has been acceptable. However with electricity price increases the cost of that permanently on router will be about £35 a year.

1 REPLY 1
chilli2
Elite

The problem here is that DSL modem/routers such as the ones supplied and or used for home internet use are designed to be always on , there have been a few news stories around recently warning people not to turn them off  as it will/may/can have some negative effects on other home appliances as well as the internet connection itself .

There is a bit of kit on the broadband line at the exchange end that monitors the stability of a connection , each time the router drops the connection the exchange equipment notices this, and sees it as a fault it will then try a slower speed profile on your line as an attempt to stabilise the connection , this is called dynamic line management

Also firmware and security updates often take place overnight .

If you want to save power then it may save a little if you tiurn off one of the wifi radios , ie 5Ghz, or disable wifi all together - however  if you have other devices connected via wifi this will obviously knock them off line, things such as smart TV's streaming boxes/players, camera systems, smart heating systems and so on - and likewise it will also stop those devices updating overnight .

To save power/reduce usage you could look ta other devices down stream, do you turn the TV off or leave it on standby? likewise with other devices such as sound bars etc etc?