cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv box won't register to existing account

Hi everyone, I purchased a black nowtv box last Saturday from Currys. I already have an account on which I pay for sports and entertainment. I tried to link the box to my existing account but I get a message that's something along the lines of "Oops, something went wrong at our end, please refresh this page to continue" and when I refresh it just brings me back to the same page. I've been in the online chat with Nowtv atleast 7 times and they seem to have no idea how to solve it. I was told on Saturday that the tech team would be in touch by email but I haven't heard anything. Also the box came with free passes that I wasn't really interested in, so when it didn't work I created a new email and account and used all the passes to see if that was the reason it wouldn't link to my account but it still doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan. 

12 REPLIES 12
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Dan

I'm gonna ask you a silly question, simply because you've not explicitly said you've done this, OK here we go: 

Have you registered your wi-fi details, user name, password, etc., in your box before trying to log onto Now TV

Sorry for asking such a daft question but without your wi-fi details the box won't work.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob, yes I should of been more specific and thank you for the reply. I've entered all my details and got through to the 6 digit code, when I put the code in that's when I get the message that something went wrong. The nowtv live chat had me reset the box 4-5 times for some reason, they had me set a mobile hot-spot on my phone to connect the box to aswell. My account works on my xbox and the nowtv box works if I create a new account. So the problem to me seems like its something to do with linking the box to my existing account. I'm completely lost on where to go next, as I said I've been waiting a week for the tech team to get back in touch.

Thanks Dan. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi again Dan

Thanks for your reply, your extended explanation seems to me to contain the seeds of your solution.

You said the Now TV box works with your new account, I would say, unless there is an overwhelming and specific reasons to keep that old account, I would advise you to ditch it and go with the new one. 

It's less stressful than waiting around for the Now TV tech guys to get back to you, and remember some tech stuff just don't work when everything says that they should.

Besides, using a new account will immediately get you passed (that old unbeatable) Murphy's  Law (aka Sod's Law), i.e. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong. Right now Dan, your stuck in a Murphy's Paradox, i.e. Waiting for fix that may never arrive, so jump ship and start again.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The only problem with that plan is on my account at the moment I have an offer of 6 months sports for £16.99 a month, which I don't really want to lose. ☹️

I guess I'll wait and see what they come back with. If they can't fix it maybe they'll give me the same offer on the other account?

Thanks Dan. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Dan

You said, "...I have an offer of 6 months sports for £16.99 a month, which I don't really want to lose."

Dan, there's no reason why Now TV's Help Text Chat cannot move that special offer from your old problematic account to your problem free new one, after all none of this is your fault.

Still, if your way of getting out of that Murphy's Paradox is to buy another Now TV compatible streaming device then may I suggest a Roku, which has more facilities and is 100% compatible.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Morning Bob, again thanks for all your help. I think I'm just going to go straight upto Curry's now and show them the email and ask if I can exchange for a roku 4k stick and pay the difference obviously. 

Thanks Dan. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Good Morning Dan

Yeah, I think you're spot on with your solution, just remember to register your new Roku stick on the Roku website before you try to use Now TV.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi again Bob, I've just set up the roku stick and I am now watching sky sports on it. It was so easy to set up had it all done and working within 10 minutes. It cost me an extra £25 but I'm happy it's sorted now. Thanks again for your help and moral of the story is not to buy Nowtv products again.

Thanks Dan. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also, another thing I can't understand, presumably some people may buy these boxes second hand where the free passes have been used. Surely they should be able to link a product that Nowtv has created to their Nowtv account? Seems strange that if I downloaded the app to my xbox and linked my account it would work straight away, yet it won't work on their own product. I've even given them the serial number to see if they can link it on their end.

Thanks Dan.